Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 144H - How far to go?

I always thought CW is just todays regular radio transmission, ever since Fessenden to invented it to replace Marconi's spark gap. And it should not require anything as this is what all the broadcast station transmit. No?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

CW is the carrier with no modulation.

SSB is just the opposite - one modulation side band with no carrier.

The BFO generates a carrier which becomes a heterodyne with the CW transmission resulting in a tone.
The BFO's carrier is used to demodulate the SSB modulation.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Yes I did refinish the cabinet. Thanks for the compliments. I enjoy refinishing old pieces. I know some say to leave in original condition (don’t refinish) but if I’m keeping the piece I’m finishing it to my liking. It appeals to my meticulous nature and the cabinet being a family heirloom was a bonus. And, yes I was pleased that the cloth was intact, other than a few stretch/poke marks. 

See you in the electronics phorum. Hopefully the electronics won’t take me the same six years that I spent off and on getting the cabinet finished. 

As I enter the electronics phorum, can you confirm what my chassis is?  It isn’t the same as the cabinet style (144H), correct?  The sticker inside the cabinet says Philco Models 44,504,& 144. In the lower left corner of that sticker I see 38-3385 (although the 8’s could be 6’s—hard to discern). And inside the chassis is stenciled 38 1222. When I look in the electronics phorum people seem to refer to the chassis by a number and I want to know what mine is as I venture on.

Hi Chas,
You might have a look at the back of the tuning capacitor sometimes the model # is stamped on it in ink.
Sorry the link I posted previously was dead try this: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/137/M0013137.htm
I'm about 99% sure it's a model 144 chassis

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I can confirm that it is a 144.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Very nice radio! It's just a fantastic and stylish design . Icon_cool