Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Death Cap Question"

Hi,
I have been searching the various sections on the Phorum but have not found the answer to this rather basic question...

Since the capacitors at the power transformer primary to the chassis ground can cause shock hazards if they leak electrically, what was the intended function of these when they worked, and are they effective? If the chassis is now grounded with a 3 prong cordset, are these capacitors needed at all?

Hi Tom glad you asked.
>what was the intended function of these when they worked, and are they effective?
There purpose is two fold. One is connected the hot side of the ac line and the chassis. This one acts the a rf filter against rf noise present on the ac line. The other one connects the neutral side of the line and the chassis. This one provides a ground for the things connected to the chassis thru the neutral side of the line.
The down side to this is it forms a capacitive divider so the chassis some low current ac on it to earth ground.

By connecting the third wire (house wiring ground) to the chassis it will eliminate the low current ac volt from the chassis but may increase the pickup of rf noise from the house wiring via lights, switch mode p/s, chargers, and wallwarts.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks.