Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60F for $20? Should I buy?

Inspected the radio today...tubes all there, speaker in good condition, minor veneer damage. What's the catch?

Attached Files Image(s)

If the tubes are in there, those alone are probably worth more than $20. If I had the space, and the time to tackle it, I would jump on this in a heartbeat. But I'm on the West Coast, where everyone thinks something like this is worth 5x what your price is. Icon_crazy

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

It's kind of amazing to find something like this in Phoenix. I've just got to figure where to put in...

I guess the catch should be if the tubes are good, then they alone could be worth $20, at retail, but used 6.3 volt tubes are usually not that expensive unless it's an uncommon power triode like a 6A3. The model 60s used what I would call a pre-octal version of an AC AA5, 6A7, #78, #75, #42, and an #80. They are very straightforward sets, as far as Philcos go, but on some sets the police band portion of the oscillator coil will need rewinding, which is very easy to do. Other then that you need to check the big things, like the power transformer, the speaker field coil, and the output transformer, but those rarely fail unless a filter cap shorts out. I think for $20, if you have the room, and like the style of the cabinet, then why not?
Regards
Arran

$20.00 Why not! Save it from the scrap heap! The tubes and speaker have to be worth that alone.