Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 37-630 newer shadow meter mounting??clips dont hold

I have a console 630 but no clips, well just finally got a table top37 630 and it has the clips. Well the clips dont hold the shadow meter tightly against the back of the dial face. I can move the shadow meter forward and back about 1/8 inch. Am I missing parts or do these clips get distorted over the years from removal?

I started collecting radios when I was a kid.......never kept any of them.  Always messed them up(didnt know what I was doing)  Sucessfully bought my first radio and got it working in 1995in california, and carried it home on a 3 day train ride.  It was a philco 38 code 123 battery operated farm set. 

discovered in an other thead theres a grommet! I dont have this grommet so I just went to the local advance auto store and bought a foot of windshield washer hose, slit it down one side and put that on the long sides of the meter. worked perfectly. While rooting around for shadow meter posts I discovered that this newer style meter is actually adjustable!!! I didnt know the coil slide up and down the the main body!!!! I had read the official posts about how to adjust them but never understood it...till now. So now I have a shadow meter that does adjust and have a narrow shadow! My only problem now is that I have to tap on the radio to get the shadow meter to move. Not real sure what causes this.

I started collecting radios when I was a kid.......never kept any of them.  Always messed them up(didnt know what I was doing)  Sucessfully bought my first radio and got it working in 1995in california, and carried it home on a 3 day train ride.  It was a philco 38 code 123 battery operated farm set. 

Hello. Sounds like the shadow vane is sticking. If so, you will need to take it apart to get to the vane.
Could just be a little dirt on the pivot points causing it to stick.
Here's a link for some info on the 2 different style shadow meters.
https://web.archive.org/web/201607271921...ctip01.htm
And a how it works link.
https://web.archive.org/web/201503281710...tip01a.htm

Just so folks know...the link to that info on Chuck's new site is: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/shadow-...justments/

yeah thanks for the link Ive been to that link.  Didnt know the coil rotated as well as slid in and out!  Reason I didnt get mine to rotate or move backwards or forwards is it was just too stiff, and it still is. Might shoot some lube at the base. I just overlooked it when I did my 37-630 console but just discovered its a 37-640 by the tube on top of the transformer!  I shall now refer to that one as the 37-630really40! Console cabinet sticker blue one says 37-630, but the chassis is a 640!
As far as sticking could I spray some brake cleaner in the vane?  Even if I did take it apart, risks are:breaking it, snapping off tabs, screwing up something else.  Not sure what all materials are in the vane.  Was thinking maybe a spritz of alcohol or tuner cleaner also.  What I really should do is verify voltage on the coil when running.  I could be chasing my tail if no required voltage changes/values.  I did notice that somewhere and I didnt note where, that the resistance spec was 1 to 2 k ohms for the coil?  My shadow meter for the 630really40 is around 1100 ohms.  Measured the 37-530 coil and its 1387 ohms.

Just ran upstairs and looked. The chassis only has 1 6f6g tube, so must be a 630.

Just checked shadow meter coil voltage on the console 630....seems to vary between 1.6 volts and about 5.....seems low.  tubes replaced and Im sure I tried to align it 2 years ago. 30 feet of wire for antenna.  Checked b+ volts from coil to chassis 276 volts.
Added a ground wire to the table top radio havnt checked volts yet. Ground wire goes outside window and into ground via a foot long rod. Went to pull off ground wire off ground screw and sparks came off of it! About 53 volts between ground wire and radio ground screw! Dissconnect radio, voltage goes away.