Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stromberg Carlson AWP-8

Tonight starting on it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike 
Where did you get that one ?

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I got this one about over 4 yrs ago, I even showed it here. It's just now that I'm into the Transoceanic groove, I decided to take on this one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Very nice  except for green color 
paper work too  Icon_clap Icon_clap

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Wave Wizard antenna.

This thing is 10 years younger than the 8G005 and 14 years vs 7G605, so it has lots of new stuff....like miniature tubes and drum band switch, like in TVs.

That screw (two at both sides) keeps the chassis from sliding out.
What I did not appreciate was that the chassis is taken out from the front, not from the back.

Selenium rectifier and underchassis.

The access would be easy were it not for the chassis cover to be removed requiring one of the side panels completely unbolted.

Cool looking portable. Well at least after getting the chassis out; no rubber wire and plenty of space to work on it. I think that's the first drum band switch I've seen in a radio.

It was standard on the Soviet radios like VEF.
The contacts oxidize so they need cleaning every once in a while.

Ha kirk would not like it 
Too clean for him

mafiamen2

The radio might be in working condition for all I care.
All tubes including the ballast 50A1 are good.

The axial electrolytic caps from 1956 might still work and the Bumblebee caps might be ok enough to work. This said, I will replace them. Probably won't even bother restuffing: the lytics are too narrow and Bumblebees are not easily drilled out.

The selenium rectifier looks almost new. Might be good. I will check it though I know the common practice is to replace it with a diode like 1N4007 and a resistor.

The turret tuner was also in one of the Hallicrafter portables.

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Yeah,

at some point I thought of getting all the TO clones, the RCA, Halli, Philco......not sure I will do that anymore. Though my mood is easily changed.

Like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3zetSuYRg

I didn't know you could sing! Nice wig too. [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_lol.gif]

The Halli S72 is a pretty straightforward set and doesn't use the 1L6 tube, uses 2 1R5's.
The RCA Strat does use a 1L6 and God help you if the dial cord needs to be replaced.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Nice radio.Mike!

Flywheel tuning, really nice dial, two speakers. I imagine they were expensive new.

Cheers,

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

I am pretty sure they were. A600 zenith was $139 - $159.
It lacks the full metal chassis, bronze etc, and many other things, including the weather gauges. I suppose it might be closer to $200.
I cannot find the pricing info on it though.