Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-295

I bought this radio over a year ago and decided to restore the electronics.  This radio was playing.  Someone had strapped in a 470 mfd, 450 volt cap across the first filter cap.  The 2 electrolytic cans were dry. This thing would play for a few seconds after you turned it off!  A couple of bypass caps had also been replaced.  No coupling caps had been replaced.  The push button switch was bad so they had cut the push button shaft off and installed a rotary switch in the push button hole.  you can see the damaged paint.  I was able to tig weld a piece of steel onto the cut shaft, shape it to original dimensions, and repair the original AC switch.  It's working fine now.  The cabinet is in good shape, but had been refinished very poorly, so that will be another project.

I will need to redo the face plate as you can see the faux wood grain is mostly worn off as are the decals.  I've never done this so is there a good place to learn the process here on the forum or somewhere else?  Thanks!

Yeah, in my Westinghouse WR-212 someone also strapped 1000uF cap as the first filter.
I gutted it for its aluminum can.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Nice job!! Reminds me of my 41-300, great player too!
Was noticing that the frequency coverage skips the 160mtr and 40mtr ham bands (1.8-2.0mc and 7- 7.3mc). Back in the pre war days the 40mtr band was cw (Morse code) only so w/o some sort of bfo would but unreadable. SSB was abt 10yrs in the future, AM was the way to communicate via speech in those days.
Somewhere I did read a few posts abt the refinishing the dial bezel I'm pretty sure it was here on the Phorum. Took a quick look around and didn't see anything.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry.  I wasn't able to find anything either.  I did find it curious  that certain frequency ranges were skipped.  At least the BC band goes up through 1.7 mhz.  It would be interesting to see a history of wavelengths and their use over the years and how they changed from the 1920's through the present.

I will continue to look for hints on refinishing the bezel.

Does anyone know the speaker impedance for this radio?  I needed to have the speaker reconed and they replaced the voice coil with an 8 ohm coil.  I never measured the DC resistance for an approximation.  It sounds good but if the original voice coil was similar to what Philco used in the earlier years, the power transfer could be poor.

Well Homer (Simpson) sez it's 4 1/2 ohms on my 41-300.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you! I'll live with the 8 ohms.