Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Was gifted a

Philco 48-145 set on the way to Kutztown. Got a chance to play with it and it's a surprising good player. Someone had recapped it so all there was to was hook up some batteries to it. Yes it's a 1 1/2v farm set. Low current design 200ma for the filaments and abt 6ma for the HV. At 6ma (abt what a 6 transistor uses) the B batteries should last a long time maybe + 30hrs. Not sure how long the A batteries will go. Good sensitivity and w/it's 6"spkr sound great. No hum and ac line interference.
Got some parts coming to build a battery box so they can be fitted into the back of the radio.

Tnx

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I smell Sam..... Icon_lol

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Sam gifted me three Zeniths TO.

Than again, you made me take a 16X with me, so I don't know if you're off the hook on this one....

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I usually run those sorts of sets off an AC power supply, I have two vintage Electro brand ones from the 1940s-50s with the battery sockets, but you could probably build a better one with modern parts and some salvaged transformers, such as a razor outlet transformer for the B supply, and a low voltage one for the A. I'm not familiar with this model of Philco but I have a Canadian model AC/DC version, it's a parts set, but I think it has an extra RF amplifier stage, the battery version either has that or an extra IF amplifier tube. In general I have been pretty impressed with most farm battery radios, many still work quite well even though they have not been recapped, they were obviously made for their market, which was people in semi remote locations off the power grid.
Regards
Arran

Very Nice.....

Tnx!
Some of the parts came in to build a suitable battery box. I got 8 single D cell holders and 9volt battery clips. Yet to get is the 3/16" plywood or Masonite and I can get busy in earnest building. I think the 116B project is going to take presidents over this one.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry;
  One trick I learned from a guy on You Tube, Shango066, is to save old 9 volt batteries after they die, and remove the top portion with the snaps on it, and voila! A free 9 v battery connector. I can tell you one thing I discovered from doing this, most of the 9 V batteries aren't made the old fashioned way with a pancake stack of cells, they seem to use skinny cylindrical cells instead, maybe AAAAs? No wonder why some 9 Vs won't fit in 1960s pocket transistor radios anymore!
Regards
Arran

Yup!
One other thing I tried soldering wires the battery terminals (didn't have any clips) and it damaged the internal connection so the battery was unusable. That was really annoying!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry