Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is this 20 or 21?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-Cathedra...:rk:4:pf:0

The cabinet is 70 with no middle power switch hole, so this should make it 21, right? 
The chassis is from 20 (so it says).
I know they used some 20 chassis in 21 but did they say so in the label?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

It's a 20 chassis.
The 20 has that square metal can filter cap.
The 21 has a round single 14mfd mounted where the square is. there's a cover plate to cover the square hole in the chassis w/a round hole to mount the round cap.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

> Up for offer vintage 1931 Philco cathedral tube radio model 20E.

Nowhere on the label does it say "20E" - it says "MODEL 20".

> Knobs are original.

No, that tuning knob is not original (too large).

Early production 21 sets did indeed use leftover 20 chassis, and the label stated "MODEL 20". I owned one once, and while the label did read MODEL 20, the label was slightly different from this older label. And my 20/21 also had the same knobs as regular Model 20 sets, not the rosettes they switched to later on.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

So, is it a 21? (I guess that was my question). Considering we do know they used 20 chassis. Even if with a wrong knob.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Technically, yes.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

technically.....so you have a suspicion it was combined from two radios? And was not sold as a 21?
Then again if this is a valid way of being a 21, then it is a 21, right? Even if it wasn't sold as one? I mean, if I swap a bad rusty chassis in, say, a 70 for a good one from another 70, that will not make a radio non-authentic? So should be this one too then?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_cat..._20_e.html

So, there was a 20-E model after all.....it is probably a European version as it says "230V 50-60Hz".
Otherwise it is exactly the same as 21.

The guy found that and this is why he though it was a 20-E, but his is 21.

Any Philco model number ending in "E" or "EZ" indicates a set made in USA but intended for export.

While the Radiomuseum set is an export model, the set linked in your first post above (the eBay ad) is not.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN