Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-480 questions: style of grill cloth and do repro pushbutton clear covers exist?

Hi all!
New to Phorum and restoring a 46-480.  What style grill cloth is needed, and do the clear covers exist for the pushbuttons?  From what I’ve seen so far those appear to be made of that most precious material known as unobtainium...

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I don't have one of those, so can only look at pictures but the grill cloth looks to be a pretty plain affair and since the wood slats cover most of it I think you have a lot of latitude in finding something that will look nice. If it were mine, I'd look at Kenneth's Goldenrod or English Tweed as possibles.

I don't know about any clear covers for your model. I bought some clear covers for the 48-482 buttons from David Frush

Thank you, Bob!!!   I appreciate the answer!   The Philco is my 4th restoration.  First was a DuMont hi-fi; it was pretty simple.  It's from 1954 and has a plug on the back to input what I guess would have been a reel to reel tape player in the day.  You turn the knob to auxiliary input.  We input our CD player into it. 
Second was a Lowe Opta Atlanta model AM/FM/Shortwave W. German model with a Perpetual-Rex record changer.  Completely recapped, a couple of burned resistors replaced, did a work around on the old Selenium rectifier.  
Third was an RCA table top AM radio, a 56x5.   Complete recap, but terror of terrors, this one had been "fine tuned" by someone else...it was the winner not only of the Golden Screwdriver award, but the Golden Screwdriver with Diamond clusters.  I thought I'd never get it back to matching up the dial!!!!