Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New member with new (to me) 46-1226
Photo 

Hi folks! 
I have long wanted one of this model. My grandparents had one, and it currently resides with my uncle. I realized that by the time I get that radio, I will perhaps not be interested in having it anymore, so when this one popped up on Craiglist for $75, I went for it. I also spent a couple days reading about restoration, replacing caps, the near impossibility of keeping the original cartridge working, so I was prepared. I was prepared to never plug the thing in until I had done a full cap job and cleaning. 

When I arrived at the house, I was horrified to see that the family had plugged it in ("We haven't tried it in 20 years, and wanted to make sure it worked still!") and was listening to the radio. I was thrilled that it worked, and quite worried that there would soon be a giant flame shooting out of the chassis. I paid them, they shut it off and unplugged it, and I took it home. 

Having seen it work, I did hook it up to a variac to see just what I was in for. It tunes AM very nicely, but no luck with SW. The turntable works beautifully, but the cartridge makes no sound, which is not a surprise. I plugged in my regular turntable, and the unit sounded quite nice. Controls are very staticky, only one light works, and the courtesy light switch for the turntable is really stuck. The insides are filthy with a very thick layer of dust, but this appears to have been kept indoors for its entire life, and hasn't suffered from excess humidity. 

I have now shut it off and will not be firing it up again until the caps are replaced. 

The top has some wear, but the finish looks fine. 

Turntable needs cleaning and probably lube as well, but it in great shape. 

Filthy with dust, its a code 122, so I know which schematics to look for. 

I'll soon be posting in the correct forums about the electronic restoration, as well as some cabinet tips, but I am simply thrilled to have this unit. I collect 78s as well, so I will have plenty of records to play on this unit. (Not valuable ones, but appropriate ones.) 

I'm excited!

Congratulations! It looks quite good and in very restorable condition.

Welcome to the Phorum.  I refurbished the radio portion of the 46-1209 version.  I am very pleased with its performance.

Larry

Welcome! Nice radio, good condition. And a fair price.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Congratulations! Great find. It looks to be in good shape, and very restorable. There are many people here who are a wealth of information about restoring these radios, as well as the phonograph part. Good luck with the work. Take your time. Double and triple check every single thing you do before you go on to the next thing. Taking pictures of the chassis underside BEFORE you do any work will be a great help to you. Sometimes one gets interrupted in the middle of some piece of the work, and the before pictures come in VERY handy! Take them from as many angles as you can, and as close up as you can get a good focus. Best of luck to you with this project.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Very nice indeed! Congratulations!

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup