Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 47-205

Question on the grille bars, were these made of the unstable tenite or something else?

Apparently...something else. Icon_smile

These combination grilles/escutcheons, unlike the ones used on certain 1941 and 42 Philco models, have held up well over the years with no apparent shrinkage. One of these would make an excellent pattern to make a mold for one of the older models...IF we could get someone interested in making such a mold and new parts from same.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I think that they may have been made out of Tenite but the improved version called Tenite II like what they use in screwdriver and toothbrush handles, a lot more stable and durable then the infamous pre War version.. It's sort of a mystery sometimes exactly what plastic was used in old radio parts, the exact recipe seemed to differ from company to company and one part to another. I think that perhaps a silicone mold could be made out of one of these later bezels and castings could be made from polyester or epoxy resin, that would be the most economical method for a small quantity. When you get into machined molds for injection molding then you are potentially talking thousands of dollars in tooling costs.
Best Regards
Arran

Somebody should make molds of the 47-205 grille/escutcheon, and then produce some of these parts in mottled brown for such sets as the 41-226 "Sled" as well as the 41-221, 41-841, 41-842, 41-843, 41-844, 41-851, 42-842, 42-843, 42-844, 42-853, 42-854 and 42-PT94.

And ivory versions for Models 41-221CI and 42-PT95.

Such a part should sell well for the 41-226 "Sled" at least. I have two of these; one is missing its grille/escutcheon completely, while the other has the typical shrinkage.

I've tried to get two different people who sell reproduction parts interested in making this part, to no avail. I even went out and bought a 47-205, which I don't particularly care for, just to offer a good grille for molding purposes. So what next? I dunno.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I know of one fellow that would likely be interested in making such escutcheons/bezels, but I don't know about the cost factor. He is an Australian named George Laurie, he reproduces plastic taillight lenses, knobs and other plastic parts for Chrysler products. All that he needs is a good original part and he can make a mold from it. The main issue is the cost, the lenses he makes sell for between $50 and $100 a pair, I don't know if quantity would make a difference or not. His contact information can be found through the Online Imperial Club (as in Chrysler's luxury brand). Otherwise we will have to brain storm to come up with another solution.
Another type of bezel that I have thought of reproducing are the ones found on late 1930s RCAs with the six band curved dial glass. I have a good original on a Canadian RCA 911K that could be used as a mold. The shrinkage and deterioration factor isn't as bad with these as some of the Philcos but breakage is common.
Best Regards
Arran