Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Identification of radio in 1947 Packard

Hi, I have been asked if I can repair the radio from a 1947 Packard. So far I have not seen either the car or the radio - so I have no information from the radio. I looked on this website for a list of Philco radios in automobile use but the list I found does not include 1947 models. Does anyone know if Philco radios were used in the 1947 Packard sedans? If so, where might I be able to find schematics, etc.
I have restored a Philco home radio console and several vacuum tube guitar amps, but this will be my first car radio restoration. Thanks.

Without any other information, other than knowing it is from a 1947 Packard, it's going to be very difficult to find a schematic. When you can get a model number off of the radio, you may be able to find a schematic based on that here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/303/T0000303.htm

Good luck!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks. I should be able to get the necessary info eventually. Right now I was just doing some preliminary exploration to see if I could learn anything. The link looks like it will be useful.
Thanks again.

The car might be 6 volt and positive ground. Please do not apply power to the radio until you know the voltage.

EVERY American automobile and light truck before 1952 was 6v. Packard was positive ground through their first 12v models around '55, then flipped to negative. As far a operation, it isn't going to care if it powered positive or negative ground.

Of course there is always the possibility the car has been converted to 12v. Meaning radio may be modified as well.

Tom

Packard employed Philco built radios from the early 1930s right up until the middle 50's, then switched to Delco, apparently because some Packard execution was smitten with the Wonderbar radios G.M made. The silly part was that Philco car radios used electric pushbutton tuning, with tuned circuits, whereas the Wonderbars used electromechanical tuning, with a spring loaded solenoid affair, almost a throwback to motor driven tuning of the 1930s. Both work but the electromechanical tuning is more hit and miss, maybe because the Wonderbar radios physically moved the dial along meant it was doing something more in this executive's mind then the Philco radios, Chrysler obviously knew better since they used mostly Philco and Motorola radios.
Regards
Arran

Hello Everyone:
Thanks for the helpful information.

I have not yet seen either the car or the radio due to some family health issues in the family that owns the car. Eventually this will happen when the owners of the car get interested in having the radio working again.

Thanks again.

Usually outsourced items are up for bid, probably got a better deal from Delco. Outlay was important as Packard was suffering, would be out of business in another two or three years.

Tom

Here is a link the owner's manual for the 1947 deluxe 8 tube custom radio from the Packard Info site:

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/do...Manual.pdf

The owners manual also includes a schematic

Here is a link the owner's manual for the 1947 deluxe 8 tube custom radio from the Packard Info site:

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/do...Manual.pdf

The owners manual also includes a schematic

Except that Studebakers usually used Philco radios too, and the 1957-58 model Packards were basically the same as the larger Studebakers. Any Packard owner will tell you, cutting corners was not a consideration at Packard, such as when G.M, Ford, and Chrysler started poking their exhaust tips through the rear bumpers on some of their models, which were notorious for rotting through the bumper, Packard used stainless steel for the tailpipes, as well as the fittings through the bumper. It was purely an executive decision at marketing, Wonderbar radios were used in Cadillacs, and other higher end G.M products, Packard was a competitor to Cadillac for many years, and Packard was trying to go with what they thought was upscale.
 Packard's issue was a lack of management, they were the last of the high end cars to receive an overhead valve V8, in 1955, they thought that V8s were a fad and stuck with an L head inline 8. Cadillac had an OHV V8 in 1948-49, Chrysler/Imperial in 1951, and Lincoln by 1953, so they were really being left behind by then
Regards
Arran

Hi Patrician 56, 
Thanks for putting the link for the 47 Packard Philco radio User's Manual up on the Philco Phorum. It was exactly what I needed. I am in the middle of restoring one of these radios .The Riders manual notes for this set are very comprehensive but it makes no reference to the Tun-o-matic pushbutton tuning system. So I am very pleased to have found out how to set it up. Thanks again. David Fahy

As with any car radio from the 1930s to the mid/late 1950s, the paper and electrolytic capacitors will need replacement. The most critical one is the "buffer" capacitor, across the secondary of the power transformer. It should be replaced with the same value, and the voltage rating will be high; usually 1000 or 1600 volts. The electrolytic capacitors and audio coupling capacitors are also important, as leakage there will load down the power supply and cause damage to the transformer and vibrator.

These 6 volt vibrator type radios draw 6-8 amperes or more, so you will need a power supply capable of delivering that for bench testing. Radios with solenoid operated tuners will draw even more when the tuner operates.

Tim KA3JRT