Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Correct Knobs?

on this 600 or 602? The volume seem to be pretty odd.

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I can confirm it is correct - the 602 I had years ago had the same knob.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Tnx. I saw the one in the gallery which has the same knobs but seems like it's a one off job. Don't think I've ever seen those on any other Philco. Like the '36 bandswitch knob.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yup...

The 602C in the Gallery has an (incorrect) rosette knob for tuning. The 600C in the Gallery has the correct knobs.

It is odd, given Philco's penchant for pinching pennies, that they would design and implement a bandswitch knob that was only used in the latter half of the 1936 season. (Not to mention the off-on-volume knobs of the 600C and 602C.) But then again, Philco switched from black to brown knobs for the 1937 season, also. Very odd indeed.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Cute little radio!

(12-26-2018, 09:17 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Yup...

The 602C in the Gallery has an (incorrect) rosette knob for tuning. The 600C in the Gallery has the correct knobs.

It is odd, given Philco's penchant for pinching pennies, that they would design and implement a bandswitch knob that was only used in the latter half of the 1936 season. (Not to mention the off-on-volume knobs of the 600C and 602C.) But then again, Philco switched from black to brown knobs for the 1937 season, also. Very odd indeed.

Maybe he made the knob for another use but switched it to this radio to save part/money. Just speculation, probably could not prove one way or the other.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/