Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model ID

All, my  neighbor just sent me this photo and asked if I'd restore it for him.  He's out of town at the moment so I haven't been able see it to get the model number.  I'm guessing it's a 36 or 37.  Can anyone ID this for me?  He says it complete but the speaker cone is shot and he's missing the grill cloth.  It should be an easy restoration provided he doesn't want me to refinish it.
Thanks,
Keith

Attached Files Image(s)

It looks like it could be a 38-34F (1938 model).

http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1938a/#Model_38-34F

Or a 38-35F.

http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1938a/#Model_38-35F

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, Now the fun begins.  Does this radio fall into the timeframe that Philco had bad rubber on the wiring?
Keith

Philco didn't start using the rubber-covered wiring until the 1939 season, so you should be OK there. But be aware that the cloth-covered wiring is getting very old by now and could also be brittle.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Also be advised that the former is a 6V farm set w/2v tubes and the latter can be powered by either 6V or 115vac.
Might be time to pull the battery out of the tractor!
GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well my neighbor just got back into town and I was able to look at the radio.  The label inside the cabinet identifies this as a 38-62, a model that's not listed in Nostalgia air. I'm not sure if the label is for the chassis or the cabinet.   It has a phenolic dial that will need to be replaced and surprisingly I don't think Radio Daze has that one.  Anyone happen to have a schematic?  It also looks like it has a photofinish rather than veneer so refinishing is out of the question.  It is a 115V radio.
Thanks in advance.
Keith

Interesting. The 38-62F in the photo gallery has a different cabinet than the one in your photo but perhaps they had some 37 cabinets to use up? Ron mentions in the write up that the 38-62 was like the 37-62 and there is a 37-62 schematic in nostalgiaair. The gallery also has a nice 38-62 Instruction booklet you can download.

On a number of 38 model they are electrically identical to the 37 model w/the exception of the 38's use octal tube and the 37's use the older standard base tubes.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry