Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canadian 3118L possibly?

Hello All;
  I found a set locally which I think might be a 1935 model Canadian Philco 3118L. It has a cabinet like the 16L featured in the gallery, but has an escutcheon like my 3118B http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1935a/#Model_16L . Were there any other models that shared this escutcheon with the model 18/118 series that may have been Canadian models, I doubt if the model 200 was even offered in Canada.
Regards
Arran

I dont think you should buy that... Where was it again? Icon_lol

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I don't have a photo of a 3118L so I can't comment...I have some Canadian Philco info but not enough, apparently...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Just an update, the party selling it called me, it was a 3118L, or at least the chassis is a 3118. The cabinet looks like a U.S 16L from the same year, but the owner tells me that it has a label or badge for McLagan Furniture, who also made a number of cabinets for Rogers, so I don't know if the dimensions are the same as the U.S 16L cabinet. Anyhow I will go and have a look at it within the next few days, see what shape it's in, the finish looks pretty bad in the photo I saw, so I hope they are entertaining offers.
Regards
Arran

Arran,

It could definitely be a Canuck-built 3118L. When you look at it, see if you can find the part number on the power transformer; often Canadian sets will have a different part number for that. But it should have the metal data tag riveted to the chassis...

McLagen did build cabinets for Philco; I have a few sets so tagged here. They are almost identical to the U.S. dimentions, but with some subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences.

And no, the 200 wasn't offered for sale in Canada. The 3118 series was the top-of-the-line for 1935-36. It came in cathedral, lowboy, highboy, and a console cabinet.

I forgot that I have a window poster board for that year! I've posted more pictures in the advertising section...

Brad;
  I thought that they also offered a model 316, there seems to be a reference to it in the RCC manual for the 1934-35 model year? I have seen some 316s sale on the Mainland, at least in the X model style console cabinets, and I have seen the older 111s and 112s for sale over there too.
Regards
Arran

The window board Brad posted in the Philco Advertising section shows a 316X but not a 3118L. Which doesn't mean there wasn't a 3118L.

The List of Philco Sets Sold in Canada to Date, July 1, 1942, published by Philco Corporation of Canada Ltd., and which Paul Rosen furnished to me many years ago, shows the 3118 having been offered as a Baby Grand (3118B - unique cabinet to the Canadian market), lowboy (3118L), highboy (3118H) and Inclined Sounding Board console (3118X).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello All;
  I'm going to have a look at the set tomorrow afternoon, I will also bring my digital multi-meter to check the power transformer, and speaker, just to see where it stands electrically.
Regards
Arran

Hello All;
  Well I went to look at the 3118 this afternoon, around 4, and I did bring the VOM along. The cabinet is pretty much as it appears, it does not look like it has suffered any water damage to the bottom part, the joints seem to be rock solid, as are the legs, the only obvious damage is to the veneer near the top right edge, not even 1/4'' worth, and a white ring in the top. I don't know how the U.S versions of this cabinet were built but McLagan built this cabinet just like they built their cabinets for Rogers, the sides are 3/4'' solid lumber, veneered on both faces of course, same with the top. The bad news is that although the electrics are sound, the dial scale might be shot, and the three knobs that are on it are wrong, they are Philco knobs all right but they are of the 1936-40 style with the pointer and the raised center like a Philco 620 would have
  Electrically the set seems pretty sound, the power transformer tests all right, for resistance, as does the 11'' H series speaker. There are two oddities however, someone added a screw terminal and rotary switch to the chassis shelf, which is connected to a fabric covered cable, with three or four wires inside, since the knob on the switch is not a Philco one I assume that this was some sort of early aftermarket phonograph input, either that or a speaker output, either way it's been there since the 1940s at the latest. The other oddity is that the cabinet has a bat switch mounted in the side, and it looks like it left the factory that way as it is mounted in a recess on the inside left of the cabinet, the 16 series sets have a switch in such a location but the 18/118 series usually do not, what it's purpose is will need to be investigated.
 I believe that this set is a factory frankenradio, but from Toronto, the chassis shelf was drilled to accommodate the larger 16 series chassis, but it has a 118 series chassis fitted in there, however rather then drilling new holes to accomodate the smaller chassis they added a series of "L" shaped brackets to pin the chassis in place around the rubber corner cushions, it looks like the 16s used round rubber washers under the chassis as the holes are recessed for this purpose. The controls all line up and are centered properly with the holes in the front panel, and the dial escutcheon is the proper type for a 118 series radio with shadow meter, since the model 16/316 and 34/334 had four bands, and the escutcheon is of a different shape, and also with a shadow meter slot, I can't see how they could convert the panel from a 16 to a 118 and have the escutcheon fit the hole without it showing. My guess is that they added the bat switch and cable to the 3118 chassis to make use of the existing hole for the 316, but the only way to know for sure is to buy the set, and take the chassis out to examine it.
Regards
Arran

Very intriguing Arran.

It sounds like you bought it? If so congratulations! Photos of it would be interesting to see. I did see the CL ad pic but you can't tell much from that.