Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 514 Questions

(04-05-2019, 07:49 PM)RodB Wrote:  Now I need the alignment instructions for the Philco 511, 512, 513, 514 or 515 and maybe the 86 would work.

https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...receivers/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron. I figured it was here somewhere, just have to use the right keyword ("alignment" doesn't work). Your set of instructions are much better than the basic ones I found elsewhere.

So, I have had a change in direction on the speaker. Instead of the re-cone job the owner has decided to go with a PM speaker mounted in place of the cone. I have located an 8 ohm, 8 inch, full range driver to connect to an output transformer. To check this configuration, I used my test speaker connected to a universal OT and tested the output of each of the 6 transformer speaker lugs. The output is now so loud I can't turn it down with the volume control. The set also oscillates at various positions of the dial. I'm thinking there's too much gain and maybe reducing the B+ might fix that. The 10K volume pot. also might be a problem. More testing to resume.

About that oscillation: have you neutralized the set?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I haven't neutralized the RF sections yet, I have a few things to take care of first. I checked the B+ voltages and they are higher than documented recordings and the filament voltages are slightly higher. So I increased the primary dropping resistor value from 9 ohms to 34 ohms. This brought the voltage on the 90 year old primary winding to 112V and the B+ and filament voltages to where they should be. I discovered the 10K volume control to be erratic so I'll have to replace it. Without the control in the circuit the volume is very loud.

I want to get all the component issues out of the way then fasten the bottom to the chassis then do the neutralization because I noticed whenever I get close to the chassis with my hand the signal strength gets noticeably stronger.

Rod

< I get close to the chassis with my hand the signal strength gets noticeably stronger.
Do you have the chassis grounded to something? Not having a ground connected to it can cause this anomaly.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry