Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 514 Cabinet

Hello, I've been working on restoring a Philco 514 and would like some guidance on handling the metal cabinet (coffin). The surface is covered with decades of dirt, cigarette smoke and surface rust. Normally I would start with a cleaning using Go-Jo but I am concerned with any further damage to the art work. Would using it harm the paint? I am not so concerned with restoring the art but preventing the rust from destroying it. When I was a member of a collector car club we used a bath of oil on rusty frame parts to penetrate and slow the corrosion process. Maybe I can use some furniture oil as a finishing wipe after removing the dirt. Any comments on how to get started is appreciated.

Here are a couple links to photos of the top. This is typical of the rest of the outside surface.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l02Qo9...fU_uH-InCC

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vnGL-t...ensPil_9CM

Rod

If you don't care about preserving the artwork you could try using some of the derusting products out there such as Evaporust or Metal Rescue to take off the rust and then repaint to protect the metal. Its also possible those products may not affect the existing paint but I'm not sure about that. Something like naval jelly will take the existing paint off along with the rust. Just some ideas...others will surely chime in...

Hey Bob, Thanks for the thought. I also have been thinking about how I'm going to keep the bare metal spots from forming rust. The owner doesn't want to repaint the art work so I figured after cleaning and treating the rust with something I would spray a clear coat on the bare metal spots. She has friends who do paintings and that may happen at a later date. But for now I'm looking to preserve the current art work and make it presentable.

Rod

So, after considerable thought I decided to try mineral spirits for the cleaning and then maybe a furniture oil based rub. The mineral spirits took care of most of the dirt and crud and left a damp look to the rust spots. Looks much better, nice green. Some spots remain and I would say they are emerging rust bubbles under the paint. Very small and hardly noticeable. I'll update when I've wiped on/off the furniture oil.

Rod

I have heard that you can soak rags in evaporust or metal rescue, and apply those to the rust spots only, I don't think it will harm the paint but is definitely less risky then submerging the cabinet in one of those rust removers. Apparently molasses and water will remove rust without harming paint, but is the paint is already sort of compromised it may cause it to lift as you have to submerge the object. Clear coating over untreated rust is an exercise in futility, it just won't stick, and the rust will continue under the clear coat, it's best to remove and treat it if possible.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran. I think I will just clean the surface as well as I can and leave the rest of the restoration to the owner. I will give her this information about the treatment you brought up. It sounds like a logical step. She knows an artist who may be available to "fix" the artwork. In this case, I would think it would be easier to repair the art than starting from scratch.

It's been a while but the owner picked up the set last June and was thrilled with the results.[attachment=20104]

I decided to use a light furniture oil on the cabinet then buff.  It served to clean and brighten the finish at the same time coat the bare metal as a rust protection.  The RCA 100 speaker really turned out looking nice.  There used to be a grille cloth covering the screens but I painted them an antique gold.  If the owner wants to add a cloth later it will be easy.  The TRF radio performed well.

Later next week I will post the method I used to construct a 48 foot antenna for this radio.

Thanks for all the help, people!  Appreciated.

Rod