Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 5G500

Even without raised center the leather handle looks nice.

Speaking of handles:

This is one of the 4 rivets; I used a thick awl with a small metal bar as fulcrum, and unbent the two curls one by one, straighten them with pliers and voila. No real damage to wood either.

I wonder if I could reuse thm, tbey have that patina.
The new brackets come with screws instead.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I also think I should've disassembled the switch; the radio worked from AC better simply due to AC being the antenna, so much so that when it was near the isolation transformer working on the battery (no antenna) and weakly receiving, turning the transformer off resulted in no reception.
With the Wavemagnet plugged in it rceives very well across the dial.

Oh... the 4xD battery flat holder came, it fits just fine and the box now closes.

Hopefully the handle is the last hurdle I have to deal with.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(02-27-2019, 08:29 PM)morzh Wrote:  ........This is one of the 4 rivets; I used a thick awl with a small metal bar as fulcrum, and unbent the two curls one by one, straighten them with pliers and voila. No real damage to wood either.

I wonder if I could reuse thm, tbey have that patina........

Good save Mike, that's the first Zenith handle rivet I've seen removed.  I don't see why they couldn't be reused unless a side breaks off from being re-bent.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John,

Yes it is also my fear, but should I be able successfully remove all 4 of them, I will try.
Not sure how I am going to curl them back, but methinks a thick needlnose will do.

Isn't this done yet?! Icon_lol

I have tried to reset those fasteners. It is really hard to get them tight, in the old hole - which is the point. The effort usually makes the hole larger/chewed up. But don't let me discourage you in trying. Report back ASAP.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

(02-27-2019, 03:29 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  I have seen some genuine U.S.A. made leather handles that look pretty good but they are $40 +.  Hopefully the leather handle on eBay works out well if you decide to order it.

I am gonna' have to get me a cow. Here bossy, good cow - -

I bought the leather handle I gave the link to.
At just under $10 and free shipping, plus being much thicker than the one I got so far, it should do.

Mike;
  I seem to remember seeing some suitcase/trunk hardware, that was held on by rivets, where a washer was used under the split pin side, that may be a way of getting they back on tight even if the wood was chewed up by removing them. With regard to the handle seller, it should be stated that the handles are vinyl/synthetic material in the auction if they are not leather, the price is largely irrelevant as you could probably get 100 or more handles out of the average cow hide, and they are largely made by machine anyhow. If all else fails Tandy leather is another possibility.
Regards
Arran

Arran,

Maybe it'll work.
However if thinking about it, I suspect that curling the split part while over wood relies on two things: curls are notas readily straighten when pulled, and wood provides more friction plus the curls digging into it, which also prevents straightening.
Metal is smoother than wood so there will be no digging in.
Though it still might work. Especially considering this radio is not as heavy plus notgoi g to be carried around too much.

All 4 rivets are removed successfully.
Not much wood damage.
I use an awl by itself to pry out the rivet curl and then continue to use it with a 1/16" flat piece of metal (I use a small flat chisel) as fulcrum to continue extracting the curl, then straighten the curls end with pliers and extract the rivet.

The awl

The top of the radio

The wood under the rivets

Compared thickness of the new artificial and original handles

Removed parts

I decided to wait for the leather handle to come.

(03-03-2019, 04:02 PM)morzh Wrote:  I decided to wait for the leather handle to come.

Good idea.

The handle vendor offered me $1 refund. I said no. Icon_lol
I just wonder where it all comes to. $12 is not too much money, of course.
Bu I am eating popcorn as all this unravels Icon_smile
He keeps calling me "Dear". (with no name attached)

The other handle just came. Very good, right length, real leather, proper thickness. No raised center.....I'll live with it.

What a difference $2 or $3 can make!  If you get a chance post a picture of them side by side.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I will tonight.

The first vendor offered me a buck back, today he's offered $3. I keep saying I do not need those and he should either take them back or if it doesn't pay for him to ship back, simply to refund the money, plus add the word "artificial" to the word "leather" in the description, in which case I won't have to report it and leave negative feedback.