Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 5G500

I don't blame you, they weren't leather as advertised and the picture was misleading.  Hopefully you'll get a full refund and maybe he'll even add the word artificial to the description.

I'm almost tempted to order one from him and state the same complaints as you..... maybe if he gets enough complaints and refunds he'll change the description.   In the meantime after I see the picture of your new one I'll probably go ahead and order one of those.  I received my order of threaded brass rivets (plain heads) and I think they will work well after drilling out the center of the handle bracket.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

No...don't order the artificial one Icon_smile

Today I will photograph the real one.

Although the photo on the eBay page (the link I gave) is quite good and clearly shows the leather side.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The handles

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The handle installed.

I will curl them up more when I get beefier needlenose pliers.

Gosh.....this guy (the seller) is making me tired. Every day he is inching up in refund money. Now he is asking if I agree for half-amount refund.
Actually the price of #6 for two of these would not be bad except:

1) I do not need them,
2) this would be encouraging him to keep selling those.

What do you guys think?

Congratulations Mike, this is the first thread where I've seen someone replace a Zenith leather handle reusing the original rivets and it looks great!

I'd hold out for a total refund with or w/o returning the handles (but if returning he pays the postage).  It's not your fault he misrepresented his fake leather handles and maybe he'll change his listing and keep another poor schmuck from falling for his bait and switch.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

Thanks.

As for the seller, yes this is what I am thinking. Returning it won't involve me paying for it - he sold me a wrong product.

Mike.

That looks really nice Mike!

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Thanks Ed!

The radio has been put together with the battery and works fine.
The handle behaves well. Also, this radio is much lighter than any full fledged TO, plus the battery has 9x9V batteries plus 4xD vs 60xAA plus 6xD plus a Z1 battery, so the handle has it easy. Though I feel it holds well and wouldn't have much problem holding the real thing either.

I might try to clean the exterior, just have to find out what works best.
Off it goes to the shelves.

I wondered if the rivets could be re-used as well without snapping them. Sensational work Mike!

Paul

The rivets seem to be made of a fairly good material, not sure brass or steel, but it could be un-bent and then bent back without showing signs of breakage.

I used the awl I showed in the previous page on a picture.
I did not puncture too deep, to not damage wood too much, and then tried to pull the curl out. To maximize the leverage I use a flat piece of metal as a fulcrum, close to the rivet's curl, to support the awl, else the angle is not enough to apply any effort.
Once the curl is out, i straighten it with pliers, then do the same to the second curl, then simply pull the rivet.

To curl it back when re-inserting the rivets, I use sturdy but narrow-tip needle-nose pliers. The nose needs to be thin at the end but widening fast so not to bend when curling.

Were you able to rotate the rivets when installing so when curled they bit into hopefully a clean section of wood?

I have the Bomber Companion portable in faux alligator and will definitely try your method when I get to that set.

Thanks Mike.
Paul

Paul

Yes the rivet is freely rotating when re-inserted. It is pretty much a cylinder inside a cylinder. However I prefer to curl them so the two ends are parallel to the edge of the case - the wood is not damaged too badly, but then it is the most convenient position to curve with pliers, unless you have a tool to do that from any angle.

Good news is: the seller of the artificial handles agreed to refund in full, asking in return for no bad review.
I promised no bad review, however having given advice that they change the description as there are potentially more buyers that might become unhappy.
Up to them though.