Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Bing comes off the line

Hey all,
 I have just finished a Philco 46-1201 (Bing Crosby). I started it a long time ago and FINALLY got it finished and off my bench. 
I love these as they are easy to restore 99% of the time. You just pop in a new cart and lube the player. The chassis is a little packed but there are only 12 or so caps. Easy yet it took me a year to do.. Ugh....

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGl7DxF6Vs4

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Nice to know these are easy. I have one I'd like to get to eventually. What do you use for a replacement cart/needle? My cart is dead.

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

Very nice, Kirk. I've done about 6 of these now, all but one were 46-1201's. It's kind of a pain getting the chassis out, having to unsolder all of those phono wires and the loop antenna but once it's out it is pretty easy to recap. The last one I did I wound up replacing all of the resisitors too.

I had a 48-1201 but it was identical appearance wise to the 1946's. I had heard some of the 1948's had a metal disc replacing the decal above the dial, but I had never seen one, until just this past week when one turned up on 'the bay. I borrowed a pic from it to show what the disc looks like.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Thanks Jeff,
The video explains the cart.. I used a P51-3, It is a perfect and the sound is great.

Greg, I have perfected the art of not removing the chassis. I pull it out of the holes and turn it counter clockwise while flipping it. Then do the recap right in the cabinet.. Works every time but once I broke an antenna wire. I'm into lazy ways, Icon_lol

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I have a Canadian version, but I put it in drydock as I couldn't get the dial to track properly after trying to align it, and became frustrated. I may have to revisit it in future. I don't think that the mercury switch is functional anymore either so if it can't be revived I will have to come up with a substitute like a micro switch.
Regards
Arran