Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TV Restoration

How does restoring and old Philco TV compare to restoring a Philco reciever? Asfar as difficulty for a beginner, availability of parts, schematics etc. Just curious about dabbing into TVs a little. Where is the best place to find them(e-bay?)

thanks
Chris

As far which set to start on, avoid the Philco Predictas and the 8" RCA's.

The Predicta has a printed circuit board that has to be removed to properly recap. Many Philcos have couplates that will be bad. You will have to make new ones. The cap values are critical.

I restored a Philco 50T1403 (12" round). The 1400 series are not all that hard to find. The chassis has plenty of room to hide the new electrolytics, but I did have to restuff three of the cans. I also had to find a new picture tube. I bought the caps from AES. There are more boring details about my restoration on my site.

I have a late 50" Philco on the bench. This has couplates, but fortunately, I also have the original schematics. They have the equivilent circuits. As long as core components (power transformer, flyback, CRT, etc) are good, a recap should do it.

I can't compare Phiclo radio to television since I don't have any old radios.

Visit the world's worst TV restoration website.

http://evilfurnaceman.tripod.com

I worked on several radios and got them going with a high degree of success.
My first T.V. I worked on it for 6 months, and finally had to seek help. Apples and Oranges.
By The Way the audio worked perfect.
Dan('Icon_rolleyes')