Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco P-337

This is nice - I've not seen this one before. Anyone have any further history or information ? http://cgi.ebay.com/320411541415

It's a UK Philco set, never was sold here in the USA.

Most UK Philco models used chassis which were built in Philadelphia with cabinets produced in England. The styling of UK Philco models is quite different from USA Philco sets.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I heard a story that many of the British Philcos often used Canadian built chassis or were assembled from parts imported from Canada due to the favorable trade situation since Canada was part of the British Commonwealth/Empire, there is British Philco that used the same cabinet as a Canadian Philco model 3118 from 1935.. Many of the American car makers did the same, built cars in Canada for export to Britain, Australia, New Zealand, and other Commonwealth countries.
I think that this set may have been British designed and produced, it's layout and style doesn't resemble any Canadian made set that I have seen. I can tell you this much, his shipping cost is out to lunch, it should not cost $117 to ship a 20 pound radio to Canada (if it even weighs that much being a battery set) and what sort of packing materials weight ten pounds unless it's packed in a crate or packed with sawdust? Ebay fee avoidance perhaps?
Best Regards
Arran

I checked his shipping cost and the International Priority rate is about right. However, Canada is cheaper than say, France. It would still be about $73 to there.
If its any consolation thats about the same price as to here in Puerto Rico USA. It looks heavy.

The strange part is that the shipping rate to Canada is lower on a cathedral radio he is also trying to sell, and one of those would weigh more more then that Philco with the transformer iron they come with. In any case these dolts at the US postal service are wondering why business is down and why they are losing money. Truth be told I don't buy radios this way anymore, out of five ebay radios two were smashed, any radios I get now have to come home with me.
Best Regards
Arran