Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another 7G605 Zenith TO

Yesterday I put my second 7G605, also a bomber, on the bench.
This is the one missing the front cover.
But the Dx2 battery holder is good.
And the dial string is good. So far.
Checked the tubes: all good, and started the recap.  I'd spend more time with it, but then I felt trembling inside, hands became shaky and legs weak, no - not electric shock, so I thought it might be not eating much before long time ago, so I went up for a snack and decided I had enough for today.

Here's something that I also found in the previous radio:

Those were disintegrated so I tossed them, however these seem good, so I wonder what those are and where they go.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hmm, somehow, this seems familiar from my recent Zenith project. It had obviously been kept all together since new, including odd bits and pieces, user manual, promotional literature for the FM system etc. It came with cardboard pieces like this, marked "Remove before use" or similar wording. I wonder if yours are similar transport packing/protection pieces?

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

I suspect those are spacers between the chassis and the cabinet. On ARF there was the same opinion.
Plus they seem to have appeared after the chassis was out.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Good point - if they only showed up on disassembly - perhaps something to make assembly easier & quicker at the factory?

Could be.

Oh.....forgot to mention about the radio" even though it is missing the front cover, the handle is in really good shape, no cracks.

As in the previous one, some tubular caps are made of a thin paper shell filled with tar. In the former I was able to extract the cartridge and restuff them, but in this one both of the caps (same type) refused to let the tar out.
So I scanned what was left, photoshopped it and created my own caps.
I needed a paper sleeve, and having none available created my own from a backing of a notepad.
One mistake I made was making the walls to thick but it wasn't too bad.

Here it is:

The sleeve. Made by spraying glue and rolling around an exacto knife handle.

The labels. I made several sizes as well as photoshopped more or less.

Then in the same way spray the glue and roll on the labels.

And finally, put the cap insde and pot with hotglue.
As I sad, the walls were too thick so the glue had to pour over. It's ok but next time I will know to only use 2 layers.

They look pretty good Mike.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

They do indeed look nice. Bigger than original but still....this is my first time building it from scratch.

They look great Mike!

Thanks WyTex,

For the first time not bad indeed. Next time (if there will be next time as this is the last 7G605 I have) it will be better.

Btw I just thought of an easier way to reproduce Bumblebee caps, as restuffing them is onerous.
Same thing: cardboard tube, photoshop wrapping, layer of whatever lacquer that doesn't dissolve the print (I used fabric glue this time) and potting with black glue (if exists).

Should've thought of it earlier but as we say,

Хорошая мысля приходит опосля.

(Ron, translate this one Icon_smile )

Those caps look great Mike!

Good thinking comes afterwards. Icon_smile

Having been through chemotherapy, I can certainly relate to that!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Look factory fresh..............the Cmdr. would be pleased. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Ron

Yes, pretty much means "hindsight is always 20/20".

But the challenging part was, the words "мысля" and "опосля" are low speech and I wasn't sure they would have them in the translator. But then it is a proverb, so sometimes they have them when given in their entirety. Icon_smile

Sounds as "Huh-`roh-shuh-yah mys-`lyah (rhymes with "Ya" exclamation in martial arts) pree-`ho-dit oh-puhs-`lyah".
(I put stresses in also. "Uh" means xactly what it is in uh-oh, an unstressed schwa vowel sound).

The originals were kind of glossy. A quick spray with some semi-gloss lacquer might achieve this as well as protect the paper.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/