Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-6 without the veneer inlay ;-(

I was a tad disappointed when I stripped the cabinet of my humble 39-6, only to find out it doesn't have the pretty veneer inlay that appears on the one in the gallery.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Attached Files Image(s)

Strange.

Here's mine when I bought it 4.5 years ago.

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...light=39-6

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

If the cabinet has no veneer inlay, I suspect it was originally a 39-6CI (painted ivory).

https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1939a/#Model_39-6CI

If the cabinet was destined to be painted at the factory, they would not have wasted their time adding the inlay to it since the inlaid veneer would not be seen when painted.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Morzh,

Absolutely gorgeous!!

That's how I wanted mine to look like.

Thanks for sharing that bud.

Jake

That makes sense Ron.   The decal on the inside just says 39-6,   without a "C" or any other suffix.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should try to spray it ivory.

If the inside of it is pale yellow, perhaps that is also another indicator of it being the model you suggest.  Maybe the inlaid models were natural wood on the inside.  

Thanks.

Jake

Go original. Find out what exact paint to use and make it ivory.
The veneer you have might not even be the same type so might not look as good even when filled and toned. And even if does - no inlay.
Do you have the brass bezel these came with? The painted type won't look nice without them. If you don't, you might hunt one down on eBay - don;t know if anyone makes repros.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Morzh,

Yes bud,.. I am of that general  "keep-it-original" mind, although I'm not beyond modifications for safety's sake, ( it's getting an across-the-line safety cap BEHIND the switch,  and a 3-conductor power cord whether anyone likes it or not).

But with the cabinet, I'm sorta relieved because my refinishing finesse has not been too successful of late anyway.  I kinda wanted a wood radio for my bedroom, but I'll be satisfied with a  39-6 C I , .... I probably won't botch the painting as bad.

No, It doesn't have the bezel.   Icon_sad   I thought those edges might be trimmed in a black.

As for finding out what kind of paint it had, I'm not sure how to go about that. All suggestions appreciated.

Well, this Lazarus is coming along slowly.  The IF transformer re-wind working is nothing less than a miracle, and the radio plays quite well , considering half the power transformer HV secondary winding is open.

I got the dial light working by re-wiring and also soldering the socket directly to the bracket it normally clips onto, ( that part of the socket was broken off), as well as using the great info in the library for that. Icon_thumbup

Received new dial string yesterday , so I attempted to re-string that, but not quite getting something right.
If I turn the tuning condenser all the way to the low end, it won't turn back .  The cord just slips on the turning shaft.   I'm wondering which direction the small spring on the pulley is supposed to extend to.  I had it extending to the right ( as you look at the pulley from the front).  But maybe it's supposed to extend to the left.   Does anyone have any insight on this?   Icon_question

the slot for the string stays upward and never crosses the string that goes around the pully. If that makes scents.

" the slot for the string stays upward and never crosses the string that goes around the pully. If that makes scents."

Thanks for the response.

I've posted some pics.   I just need to know which direction is proper for the spring to extend to, from it's securing screw.
The 1st pic shows the spring extending off to the right. . . . the 2nd pic shows the spring extending off to the left.  Which is correct?   Icon_question

Attached Files Image(s)

the screw turns from 3 oclock to 12 to 9 oclock and there is a spring on both ends of the string. was thinking different last time had to take a look at my 38-12, its like that. want a pick?

So, which direction does your spring extend from the screw?

both ways. here is a pick

Attached Files Image(s)

That's showing it from the rear, so that would be the spring goes to the right of the screw from the front.   That's the way I started out, so I gotta figure out what else is wrong. 

Thanks bud! Your pic answered my question! Icon_biggrin

Yesterday, I found some spray paint for the 39-6 C I,  that I think will give it the color it's supposed to have.  It's called "Canvas White", (pictured), even though it's cap indicates a nice ivory color.  Has anyone else used this for the "C I"s ?

Today , I attempted to find some primer for primering the cabinet, . . .something like what's left on the inside of the cabinet, but no luck there : it actually appears to be a  flat, pale yellow  inside the cabinet,  but that is non-existent in spray cans, so I guess I'll have to use satin-finish white paint on the outside before the top coat, and maybe the canvas white without primer on the inside.  Any thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)