Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 45C tone control caps?

Im sure this has been asked many times before but what are the values of the caps in the tone control pot of a Philco 45C? I just did a 16B and they where three .003mfd... I have read they where .01, .02, and .001, others have said .01, .02, .003. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Left to right: .01 uF, .02 uF, .003 uF

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The caps in the 45 are used to lessen the high frequency response to the amp. Values are not particularly critical just the larger the capacitance the less high frequency response. I generally error towards the smaller values. Make the sound brighter rather that muffled. The 45 also has what is called loudness control (it done via the tap on the volume control) which lessens the bass response has the volume is increased.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The Philco part number for the tone control is 30-4178, the same as used in Model 29.

The Model 29 schematic gives the values of the three individual caps; the 45 schematic does not.

Model 29:
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

Model 45:
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

#41 decouples the audio signal from getting into the high voltage. It has nothing to do w/the tone control circuit however #42 (switch and 43 caps) are the tone control.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

None of the tabletop Philcos' tone controls work terribly great. Especially if done using correct values.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(41) is not the tone control. Please re-read Terry's post (#6, above).

The tone control is at the far upper right of the schematic, parts (42) and (43).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN