Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AC plug replacement

A Ryders site!    ok

Gonna sign off for the night folks.

All I've done so far is drill a hole in the back of the chassis so I'm open to listening some more tomorrow.

Thanks again folks.

The surgery was a complete success and the patient is alive and well.

I got up early today and out of boredom I decided to go with my "AC cord bypass plan".

I fished the new polarized cord through the hole I drilled, soldered the hot wire to the AC input prong that had a wire attached to the switch, soldered the neutral to the other prong, tied the internal cord knot and used a little rubber sealant to keep the knot stuck to the hole. I will also tie a cord knot outside the chassis and seal it in place in a little while to help insure that the cord isn't going to move.

My soldering was tight and there was absolutely no crossover globs on or anywhere around each prong.

I popped the tubes back in as well as the huge dial lamp and put everything back in the case.

I put the radio on my 12" X 12" X 1/4" rubber mat and plugged it into the iso trans.

Turned it on (with a rubber glove and one hand out of paranoia) and it worked perfectly. I had to snip the loop and external antenna connections a day or two ago just to be able to get at everything so I knew I wasn't going to grab many stations but good 'ol WLW AM 700 came in loud and clear and doesn't stay on the entire dial range when tuning so I'm confident I will have good tuning and reception when I reattach the antenna connections.

The volume control is a little crackly but that will be addressed.

I snipped the original torn up AC cord on the back cover and plugged up that hole with sealant. I just have to drill out a hole on the back cover to position and pull the replacement cord through.

I'm confident that the chassis "floats" and that once everything is reassembled there will be no 110V charge parting my hair.

Things may be judged a little like a cross between voodoo and hillbilly engineering but it actually presents itself pretty well.

I'm a home inspector by trade and I'm thinking the same way.  I'd love to see it with an original cord, but safety is definitely foremost.  I've got a 60b v2 and I'm thinking that the direction that I will go.  Two bad one can't find a vintage looking twisted 3 wire cord with a vintage looking plug that has three prongs.  I've looked and have not had luck yet.  Got to get busy.  Been sitting on this radio for months.

You can call me Jerry if you don't want to use my handle.  I get it.  Makes some folks nervous.
I have a finely tuned horse puckey detector.  Don't blame me if it goes off. Oldtimer

Terry

refresh me, why did you have to drill a new hole when using the new cord and plug the old one?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Folks - I haven't even thought about that radio for so long I can't remember what it looks like.

My cancer returned with an attitude and I don't have a great deal of time left. I'm too weak to work with a hobby I was falling in love with.

I think I ended up junking that radio - it had too many other defects. As far as to why I drilled a new hole it was because I couldn't remove that stupid permanent assembly that was attached to the back cover that had the 2-prong holes in it. I just left it and drilled a new hole and bypassed everything. If I remember the set was quite safe to the touch of the chassis once I got the new AC cord attached to the 2 points I wanted. The set worked but the sound was crappy and I seem to remember other issues. I tossed it for shelf space.

Thanks for the replies everyone but I don't think I will live long enough to work on another tube radio.

Yikes, Terry!  Too much of that going around.  Prayers for you and your family!

Thanks for your nice thoughts - it's good to know there are still a lot of good people out there.

Terry

Hate to hear this news. I really hope you can beat this.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Will remember you in prayer, hang tough.

Paul

Tubetalk1

God bless you for the sentiment.

Oral cancer is horrible. It robs you of your ability to speak. It robs you of being able to swallow without spitting blood.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I just want to get to the next "phase" with as little pain as possible.

I'm not afraid to die. I am afraid of pain.

Thanks again and thanks for all of your advice over the last few years.

Thank you so much.

I am a 63 year old single person and it's nice to hear from good people like you.

Live as healthy as you can.