Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley 124 detector plate choke

Mine is bad on the set im guessing it is 2.5 - 5 MH does anyone know who would carry such a part? I could bypass it but i am not sure how to set would perform.

I believe that's just a tone adjustment, ... to roll off higher frequencies ( an expensive way to do that!).  It will probably work just fine shorted across, . . . . the output will be a little brighter.

Well jake your are more helpful than this jake i have searched everywhere for this part so i am just going to bypass it.

1-2mH would be my guess.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

You may even be able to compensate for it's loss by increasing the value of that capacitor it connects to......it, also is tone control, and shunts high frequencies to ground.   That whole tone set-up there is odd to me though.

But  seems like a nice set,... with it's full-wave rectifier and push-pull output.

Let me show some ignorance here as I am not much up on detector circuits and the purpose of all components.  This is similar to the plate detector on a Philco 70 I've been working on (see diagram.)  Is it possible the choke is there to help filter the RF out of the AF before the audio transformer?

Would a 100 pf cap across it work out?

rfeenstra i don't look at your help as ignorance as i am quite a bonehead my self  Icon_lol and as i understand it it keep rf out of the interstage transformer. But say i delete it and it does work but resorts into wild oscillations.

Mouser Electronics has plenty of 2.7 mH (2700 uH) chokes, probably close enough.

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Component...h6Z1z0wph4

I would replace it with a new choke.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

" But say i delete it and it does work but resorts into wild oscillations. "

I think if you have this fear, then perhaps you should try to replace it with another coil.....even a wrong value will probably not lead to an oscillation.   I'm curious as to what this coil looks like... I guess it's an air core.

Here is the coil.

Ok.    Thanks.