Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10 mfd in place of a 6

is that too much? i would use a 8 if i could find one in my stock.

Ur fine.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I'm just trying to be careful my mentor from years ago always told me never go to high in capacitance when replacing electrolytics.

It is possible to raise the B+ in doing this, though generally not a problem. The other issue might be exceeding the rating on the rectifier for a first filter cap such as 10uf for an 80. In this case I would not anticipate any problems.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Depends where. If it's the first filter cap, the B+ will go up, though as Russ said it is not necessarily a problem. The second cap (usually after the field coil) it is not critical at all, wthin reason - the more the better (they probably would use more but at the time larger values were not as widely available).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well since i read the schematic wrong and this is a 25-40 cycle not the 60 set the first cap is a 10 mfd and the audio is a 6 mfd. So a 10 will be fine.

Jake, your radio is “now” a 60 cycle set. Having said that, 10 uf will still be fine.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

...by that, Steve means that your 50-A will now be operating on 60 cycle (60 Hz) AC. So don't stress it. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sounds good i hope it likes a pair of 10/10 @ 450

Wow,,long time ,,,RON,,,,soo glad you are still watching all us Kids,,,,,Hope you feel some--what better ,,My Friend