Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

47-1227 - Radio will not tune in any stations.

OK... Got the transformers out but the band switch is broken. Do you want the whole section ? Also is your audio output transformer ok ?

Sure I'll take the whole section and the audio transformer. You just mean the tuning section? That's where my problem is.

Hi Rod I'll be packaging the stuff tomorrow. I decided to keep the audio output transformer because I do have 2 speakers. Anything else ? Bill

Hi Bill, The tuning section and the 3 transformers you removed is all I need. I ready didn't need the audio transformer I just thought it may come in handy sometime.
Thank You AGAIN for your KIND act. Without your help who knows when I would have ever found these parts.
Please let me know as soon as possible how much I owe you so I can return your money.
By the way where do you live an how long have you been restoring radios?
I'll still take the parts of the band switch with both I may be able to make one good one.
Rodney

Hi Rod, I'm in Washington NJ, not that far away from you. I've been fixing radios for about 4 years now. It's a great hobby but sometimes very frustrating at times but very rewarding when you get one right. I really enjoy doing Zenith am fm sets from the 50's and really love rca 6rf9s. I also like the vintage Panasonic am fm sw radios, really well made. I have had a very hard time with Philco sets, but do have 2 consoles which play well. The set you are working on and the 47 1230 are very hard to repair. As you know there are just too many buried components which cannot be repaired easily. Zeniths and Rca sets are much easier to repair with much more logical chassis. Have you ever gone to Kutztown ? What a great place for radio geeks. Regards, Bill

Hi Bill, I'm from Middletown Pa. We are close. I have several radios and tvs.
1948 FAda tv
1948 RCA tvt
1954 Philco tv
RCA Radiola
Philco Cathedral
Emerson ED350
1940s Zenith Console
RCA clock radio
Photo colonial clock radio
1948 Seeburg 200 jukebox
1950s Seeburg 1000 music machine
RCA Victoria
Philco 47-1227
Zenith AM table top radio
RCA Victor AM/shortwave table top radio
Several antique clocks
Several novelty radios some jukeboxes
Western electric pay phone
Western Electric candle stick with dial telephone
Western Electric wooden wall phone
Western Electric with dial space saver phone
Western Electric with dial oval base desk phone
I go to Kutztown radio show. I'll be there this September. Are you going to be there?
My wife's glad I have my own man cave to keep my items in.
My friend does most of my repair work. My hands are giving me problems.
Rodney

Hi Rodney, that's a nice selection of radios! My man cave is about full so I know what you mean. Got to the post office, the tracking number is 9505 5141 8702 9171 1614 29. Should be there Saturday. The postage was $8.75. Bill

Hi Bill,  I will need your full name and address to send you a check.  Did you put the information on or in the box. RODNEY

OK Rodney. Bill DiMarco 7 Davis Street Washington, NJ 07882

Hi Bill,
I forgot to ask you what was the problem with the Philco radio you gave me the parts from?
What are the two Philco radio consoles you have.
Rodney

Hi Rodney, The 47 1230 was a basket case,so I recapped it etc. got am and sw but was dead on fm. I replaced the 3 legged cap and lost am and sw. Through much more work and not getting back am and fm I reinstalled 3 legged cap and got them back. While trying other things to get fm, I shorted out a tube socket under the tuner, and that was it for me. This is one of the worst chassis you ever want to work, bar none. The other consoles are a 40-190 and a 42-380. Both are complete and work great. I also have a 42-355 which is a great player. Search the forum for 47-1230 and it will give you tons of information. Best regards, Bill

Hi Bill, 
Received package everything was ok.
Thanks Again
Rodney

Hi Rodney, received check, Thank You,Bill

After working on this radio for so long my friend and I have decided to give up.  Some radios just can not be saved.  Each time something was fixed something else went bad.  I need another radio chassis that works an only needs rebuilt.  Anyone have a working Philco 47-1227 AM/FM/PHONO chassis they can part with?  Thank You
Also Thank You to all of you for your advice in helping me to try to get this one working.

After thinking about what Paul said I've decided not to become frustrated with this chassis.  Quiters never succeed an I won't be a quiter.  Thanks Paul for your message.
I would still like an other philco 47-1227 chassis.
The last thing that fell apart on the chassis I'm rebuilding was the AM/FM/PHONO band switch.  I was informed that the band switch used on the Philco 47-1227 was also used on other philco radios.
Anyone have this switch? Does anyone know what the part number is for this band switch? I have a parts list but can not find it
Thanks