Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 45C restoration

I had chicken pox as a kid. As I told you all, my move from Providence left me exhausted. It was harder even than boot camp, both physically and mentally. The winter after I moved here I had an attack which I presume was the "shingles." I am not one to go to a doctor, so I just dealt with it myself. It was on my back. There was a rash, and it felt like painful pins and needles. It made sleeping difficult. It lasted about a month, and slowly went away. I have not had such an experience since. My mother used to get the shingles on her face when she had been under a lot of stress. To be honest, when my father was being a particular a**hole. This felt exactly as she described it. I have had a number of severe injuries in my life. While this was bad enough, and lasted longer pain wise, as to intensity it did not approach smashing my left elbow into 16 pieces in a low speed motorcycle accident, which was exquisite; nor even to dislocating my left knee and breaking the kneecap in the process, then having to run and walk on it for three days, which happened in Vietnam.

Mike

You certainly had things happened in your life to compare it to Icon_smile
God willing, you won't have those anymore.

OK, enough about fun stuff, let's talk about the radios Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Alignment tool question.

In 45C each can has a pair of trimmers. One is adjustable by flat screwdriver and one is hex.
I am not sure it is the same type hex as the rest of Philcos have but the access is too small for any tool I have (including Steve's and a couple of sets I have) to get through.
Short of unscrewing the can holding nuts on top, is there a tool or do I need to remove the cans?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well....got away with my plastic tube from ball pen formed around a nut some 6 years ago.

But it would be nice to have a real tool.

Finished alignment.

As I also probably mentioned, at high treble position at larger volume pot position the radio was whistling so I added 1nF in parallel to the tone control and it disappeared. I took values from the book so....

Anyways, I will put it in the cabinet this weekend and when I get the missing hex knob it will be complete.

Here are two videos.

One is the Philco playing without the cabinet, the other - assembled.

https://youtu.be/weRqBPLWy6k
https://youtu.be/5kcWkurOt3M

Cant watch the videos here...

I think the copyright police shut them down..

Steve

It means that the radio had music playing that belongs to Warner Music Group, which is always super quick to shut down any video containing even a short snippet of a song which they own and/or control.

Sorry Mike. Please try again, and this time find some talk show. Maybe the guy that sounds like he's on helium, or like Groucho Marx' grandmother having the hysterectomy without anesthesia. Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Gotta love the youtube police.....

Steve

Wow....gotta love them guys.

I was just listening to both.
???

Could be you can still see the videos, Mike, but no one else can because of Warners' (WMG) claim of copyright infringement.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I signed out.

Try clearing your browser cache and then, without signing in, see if you can view your videos. We can't. Icon_sad

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I wrote to them with this very question.

But, seriously....showing a radio playing could be copyright infringement? Where does it stop? So, if I, say, have a video of a....wedding and we play some copyrighted material, so I cannot show this video on-line?
I mean, it's good we have laws but when these laws are taken to the extreme.......shouldn't there be some provisions?
Playing a snippet (not the whole thing) over Youtube that is played by an AM radio on BC band clearly cannot serve as a commercial usage example. What does this infringe exactly? I always thought that, OK, if I make a good quality copy of a commercial recording and play it, clearly having in mind people copying it and using on their iPods instead of buying a recording, that would be illegal. But this....???