Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EH Scott Philharmonic AM/FM

Ever since I discovered the EH Scott radios after getting into this hobby a couple of years ago, I wanted a Philharmonic.  When I was at Ron's place picking up the Scott Marine SLRM, I saw his Philharmonic sitting in the corner.  When he said it was for sale, I had to hide the drool!  A couple of months later, it's mine.  Thank you Ron!

I think this will be my next project and it will be a long one!  Given that there is a bit too much rust to suit me, it will probably wind up being re-chromed as I did on my Scott 16 (can be seen in a thread on this forum.)  That makes the project probably 4 times as complicated as every component and rivet needs to be removed.  Oh well.  That's what's fun, right?

A few pics:

Not shown in the previous post is the amplifier/power supply.  Here it is and disassembly has begun in preparation for re-chroming.  Notice the twist lock electrolytics.  These are dual 30 mfd at 500 volts. By 1940, capacitors certainly had shrunk from what they were a couple of short years earlier.

Great radios. I have the E.H Scott all wave 23 I restored last year. Very labor intensive.
It's good you can still find a place to get the chassis chromed. That will be a very nice radio when your done.
Congrats.

Ready for the chrome shop.

Icon_eek

Wow, a lot of work there. But the end result will be well worth it.

I need to do the same to my McMurdo Silver MP VI power supply.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice radio! I really like the dual eye tubes. Looks like the radio is staring at you while listening in a darkened room! Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

This will be fun to watch! Icon_thumbup

Night Mare.

38-690 looks like a walk in the park.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

A challenge to be sure! Don't know about the Night Mare part.  Love it! Just wait till I get into the tuner. There's almost 30 tubes on that thing!

It's a forest. One could get lost in it. 30 tubes. Yikes. Are you sure at least 10 of them are not there just to look god? Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Some do accomplish a purpose of questionable value, especially in this day and age.

24 tube tuner, 6 tube amp/pwr supply as I recall . That's a very nice looking cabinet too. I will be interested to see your posts.I was able to keep one from going out to the trash a couple of years ago .Long story there. Mine came to stay with no amp/pwr supply and even ratty ones are more $ then I want to spend.                
                                                      Henry

The pre FM Philharmonics were 30 tubes. they included an audio expander and a scratch filter for the phono input.  This one has the early FM band.  27 tubes on the tuner, 6 on the amp/PS.  There is no audio expander as they needed the tube space for the FM section. As I said, the FM is the old 42-50 mhz frequency range.  I just purchased a TV tuner "subber".  These were a piece of test equipment that substituted for the TV tuner for test purposes.  With a few modifications they can be made to convert the modern FM band into the old band.  It takes 3 ranges to do that since the old band is only 8 mhz wide.

I stand corrected and learned something new today.
                          Thanks
                                    Henry

I'd be interested to see how you make those tuners to work. I read about it when I was restoring my Zenith Spinet.
i am still thinking of making it receive modern FM. It should sound very nicely.
And your radio....it should sound exceptional on FM.