Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42 PT-7

Thanks Sam. Yeah, I’m a little familiar with electronics and I do know how to solder. I am taking a lot of pics, probably to the point of it being overkill but, I figure too many is better than not enough and I will be asking a lot of questions.. That’s why I asked you guys to be patient with me
Thumbs Down 

I’m working on a 42 PT7 Philco transistone

See if this pic works

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=29

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Oops, my bad Ron.. Sorry

Do you know where I can get a new speaker for my Philco 42 PT-7? I’m nowhere near ready to test the radio but, the speaker cone is ripped and obviously the speaker wouldn’t work too well in that condition anyway

I’m just curious if it matters what color wire you use to rewire? The more that I look at the wiring on my radio, the more bare spots I see and while I could go the easiest route and use shrink tubing over the bare spots or even electrical tape, I don’t want it to look it’s just bandaged up because I didn’t care enough to do it properly when I’m done. So I’ll probably bite the bullet and do a complete rewire or at least partly

>Do you know where I can get a new speaker for my Philco 42 PT-7?

In a word no. Use to be folks would repair them if the field coil was good if not it  would hit the trash bin. Eletrodyamic speakers haven't been used since the end of WWII. Repair meaning replace the cone (the paper part) Now the paper parts are difficult to find. I don't know of anyone who does it.
Now spkr are permanent magnet spkr which don't use a fc but you need the fc in your set to filter the high voltage. There is a way around it but you have to increase the value of the two 20uf caps to 47uf and use a resistor to conduct as the fc would.

>I’m just curious if it matters what color wire you use to rewire?

The chassis doesn't care but there is the R radio M manufactures A association. They have a standardize color color for most of the wiring. I don't know that Philco abides by it though.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

_Up Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the dial cord routing for my Philco 42 PT-7? Unfortunately the wood support structure for it broke so I’m gonna have to rebuild it. I might just buy a new dial cord and replace it while I’m at it.

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20Book.pdf
Scroll down to the parts list and it's on the right side.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry!

Now I feel like a idiot.. I’ve seen that on the schematic and for some reason never put two and two together to realize that was it, even though it saids it plan as day! ? opps

Are the small dots on a schematic where a capacitor attachment point it?

Have sent you a couple of emails but have come back as undeliverable.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I’ve gotta change at least one of the resistors in my radio and it’s obvious they didnt do this in the factory but, can I change the resistors throughout the radio I may need to change with resistors all with the same resistance in order to make life easier? I think I’m starting to get the hang of resistor and capacitor but, I’ve got a learning disability, a bit of a perception problem and math was definitely not my subject in school. With all that I’m getting easily frustrated. I could send in the chassis to get restored but, I don’t think I can afford that on my fixed income and plus I really want to learn, it’s just frustrating. If I could install capacitors and resistors that are the same value (without blowing up the radio and possibly increasing its effectiveness) that would be ideal. Especially the resistors because I’m having the most trouble now getting the band colors down and what they mean and that’s where my math fails me unfortunately. I promise I am trying guys and please don’t get frustrated with me.. That definitely won’t help