Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42 PT-7

It is very possible that someone mixed up the tubes if they didn't look at the diagram for where they go. This should be on a label on the radio itself. If it is missing, it also appears on the schematic page Terry sent you a link to on page one of this thread. I suggest you print out that pdf file. Also, remember, from the underside things are upside down, so be careful what socket is what. Looking at the schematic, it looks like the 3.3 meg resistor provides grid bias for the 7C6 tube, which is pin 3. Pin 3 also should have a .01mfd condense that goes to the wiper of the volume control pot. There is also a 2.2 meg resistor shown between pins 5 and 6. There is a 470K resistor on the plate of the 7C6 which generates the signal that passes through a .01mfd condenser to the grid of the audio amp tube.

Thanks Mike. I did print that schematic Terry sent. I just checked the bottom of the cabinet and the original diagram shows the bad pins are on the 7C6 tube which does have the 3.3 Meg I installed in its proper location as it should be. So it appears that mystery is solved. The picture I took shows the 35Z3 tube there which according to the diagram on the cabinet itself is wrong. The 35Z3 tube belongs in the back row of 4, the 7C6 is the lone one when looking at the radio from the front where the speaker is and next to the 
the 2nd I.F transformer. Does that sound right to you? I’m assuming that diagram is correct and doesn’t have a error from when they applied it.

The diagram is right. Someone put the tubes in the wrong places. Just follow the diagram and the schematic. The tube filaments will still light properly because they are all in series with each other. As long as they are all there, and the filaments are all good they will light, even in the wrong sockets. Put the tubes where the diagram says they belong.

So, I thought I would test my new socket with a tube to check if it will go in before I installed it.. It goes in most of the way but the fat center pin won’t quite lock into the socket and allow it to seat properly. It’s almost like the center metal need to be spread out a bit more but, I wanted to ask if you guys have had the same experience with new sockets. The socket looks pretty much the same as the old one except there’s a extra pin in the middle hole but, that doesn’t seem to be causing the issue. I got the socket from radio daze and after checking I don’t see any difference visually except the actual pin sockets on a couple of them anyway ( those don’t look like my sockets from the top anyway)

Without pictures to show what you are talking about, it is nearly impossible to answer this last. What rube is it for? Is it a locktal or an octal tube? Your radio uses both types. The 35Z5 and 50L6 are OCTAL tubes. The others are LOCTAL tubes. The bases are DIFFERENT ! Make sure you got the right kind of socket for the tube. You must become more observant of these things.

It’s for a Loctal. I’ve tried posting pics on here before with no luck that’s why I haven’t posted pics. I’m still new to this Mike so, I’m gonna pick up on little difference quite as easily as you can.

Mike, this is the link to it though. It’s the last one to the right on the first row http://www.radiodaze.com/8-pin all of the silver base tubes seem to fit into any socket (hence that’s why they were mixed up when I got it. There’s one black base one that doesn’t.. That one has its own specific socket which is also black. So I’m guessing my problem is that the socket is just new. The tubes all go in exactly as they would in the other sockets on the radio and stop and need a little help to seat completely. They go in easy in the sockets that are attached to the chassis and tight in the new one. Which to me tells me that it’s just from being new and also it maybe that it’s not installed yet so I’m not able to get the proper leverage needed

You only have one octal tube the 50L6 all of the others are loctals. No 35Z5 it's got a 35Z3. The loctal socket that Radiodaze sells may or may not fit the hole in the chassis. The screw holes may or may not align to the holes in the chassis. The orientation may be different. Loctal tube will fit into the socket.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Which socket are you trying to replace? Is it the one for the 50L6? That would be an octal socket. The rest are all locktal sockets, which the one you linked to appears to be. Locktal sockets are harder to insert the tubes into than octal sockets. They are supposed to be. They were developed so that tubes would not come loose from vibration in military applications. You just have to gently wiggle the tube from the base to remove them, and the same to insert them.

Also, I VERY strongly suggest that you get hold of a copy of Audel's Radioman's Guide and study it thoroughly. You can find it on Amazon.

Replacing the 7C6 socket

I just emailed Radio Daze to double check but, I think I’m good to go too. I have a Octal tube but that’s 50L6GT tube and I definitely see a difference in that socket vs the 7C6 socket I’m needing to replace

Got the old socket out and I left enough connected to the old one that I’ll be able to line up the two sockets the same way side by side and just copy the old onto the new and I’m gonna solder on as much as I can before riveting the new socket in place. I also printed out a picture of the way it was in the radio

One of the coil leads to my IF transformer came disconnected, what’s the best way to fix it? I was gonna take a piece of leftover wire I had from my rewire, wrap the lead end around that and solder that to the terminal (after I figure out where it goes too) 

Adam

I’ve figured out where the magnet wire lead goes too. Now all I need to do figure out the best way to attach it