Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TH14 cabinet/chassis layer

Hi guys

Recapping a TH14 and noticed the white layer between the chassis and cabinet. Is this asbestos?

Thanks
Paul

Yup!

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Unless it is fraying, just leave it the heck alone. Don't try to peel it off, you'll only expose yourself to the fibers. If it is not fraying, it is best just left alone. It insulates the cabinet from heat.

H**l. I've run into this on the Zenith TO. It is fraying and not in good condition. I definitely don't want to try and remove it but I read where you can paint over and seal it in.

Thank you for the help.
Paul

Picture of asbestos layer.  There is fraying along the edges.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like that asbestos layer is glued to the cabinet. If so take it out would be problematic and cause lots more fraying putting fibers into the air. If it were my set I would not attempt that. I know at my previous workplace there would be asbestos insulation that was coated from time to time to keep it intact and not breaking down. I would probably coat it with a shellac (others may have other thoughts on this) and leave it as is.

One thing. If you do coat it (and I agree with Bob that you should), PLEASE take the cabinet OUTSIDE and spray the asbestos with shellac! DO NOT do this indoors!

Also, use a respirator. You don't want to breathe those fibers. While only a small amount probably won't kill you, why take any unnecessary risks?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron and Bob for the feedback.  I reinstalled the cabinet to await Phorum input.  I have no desire to remove it and will shellac as recommended, outside.  

Thanks again,
Paul