Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I picked up this Opus 6 yesterday

Talk about a sweet sounding radio.  Wow this thing sounds good. Superb reception as well.  Best I've had at my place where many of my other radios have trouble The cabinet is in excellent condition as are the glass knobs and buttons. 6 speakers, all working.  I've been on the hunt for a nice one for a long time. My search is done.

Attached Files Image(s)

Them Germans built nice ones in 50s, yes. Any Telefunken is an excellent radio.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Just found one of these, will start restoring it soon. It is very nice condition but would like to recap it.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Jim please take lots of pics to share. David

Will do.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

At the very least I would want to replace the audio coupling capacitors, the tone correction cap on the primary of the output transformer (if it can one) and any bypass that runs between B+ and ground. A lot of West German radios used ERO brand capacitors, they are to German sets what Hunts are to British ones, replace on sight.
Regards
Arran

Thank you Arran.
When I get started on this I will start a new thread.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Yes, my Grundig used ERO.....the worst I've seen so far. I keep them just so I could demonstrate how bad cap could drift. Up to 4 times up.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Some tube-type and early solid-state Fishers also use ERO caps. The consensus seems to be divided on these as to replace vs. keep.

I replace them.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

when a cap goes up in value 4 times, to me there is no valid justification for leaving it in.
Out of all ERO caps in my radio (about 30+) there is no one single cap that did not go up at least 3x the value.
I think I might've even put a picture in my Grundig thread.
For comparison, all American caps in Philcos or Zeniths were 1.5x to 2x the value and in fact did work. Still needed to be replaced.

No argument from me. Like I said...I replace them.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...606&page=2

Actually, on this page I have the picture of 0.033uF cap measuring exactly 0.33uF.

Times 10.

I was addressing the original poster in this, the set might work now, but it may not work a week from now, but replacing the audio coupling caps is the bare minimum someone should do.
Regards
Arran