Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for a communications receiver?

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN AD AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS SUCH.

Recently, my son-in-law helped me erect a longwire antenna behind our house. It runs from the back of the separate garage to the frame of a window on the main level of the back of our house, then down to the basement level where it connects to a lightning arrestor before entering the house.

In another thread, I wrote:

Quote:It rained Monday and Tuesday here...but stopped in time for me to be able to finish hooking up my new longwire Tuesday evening after work.

Hey Rob, now I'm sort of regretting letting my Scott SLRM go... Icon_sad ...but at least it is now in a good home where it won't be neglected. I'll be on the lookout for another nice communications receiver (like I need another radio  Icon_rolleyes  ).

In response, Ed Holland wrote:

Quote:Ron, we always need another radio Icon_smile Nice to hear you have the longwire up. Reminds me I need to finish those antenna notes.

There are some good communications receivers out there in auction land, but buyer beware as always. What are you looking for - Digital, analog, 60's, 70's 80's? I've collected quite a number over the years, and enjoy using them all. A couple needed repairs on arrival, but revived nicely - one day they will be vintage classics. I'd be happy to compare notes.

and rfeenstra wrote:

Quote:Ron, I listen to it regularly!  In fact, it is on right now listening to a local talk radio station.  I kind of switch between radios, or turn them all on to the same station (surround sound!) just to "exercise" them.  Earlier today I scanned the upper bands just to see what was there.  Picked up the CA and US time stations, some religious broadcasts, Spanish stations, and a couple of English news stations (from the States.)  In the past I have found Vietnamese broadcasts in English.  Not sure where the transmitter was located.  Once in a while, I'll get a couple of Ham operators usually just talking about equipment.  Having said all that, I find myself getting bored with the shortwave stuff.  Not much of interest to me.  So my question to you ham operators and other DX'rs, What is it that holds your interest in the upper bands?  Is it the novelty of hearing stations thousands of miles away or is it something I have yet to learn?

(snip)

By the way, I was at an estate sale where the guy had a basement full of radio stuff, mostly communications receivers - Hammerlund's, Hallicrafter's, Collins. A few AK's and other 20's stuff. Oh, there were 2 Zenith Trans Oceanic's. Not in great shape. I bought nothing as I didn't know what I was looking at. The prices seemed high on the first day. I have pics if it means anything to anyone. The sale is over.

In this thread, I'll first answer Ed's questions, then Rob's. And then let us go on to discuss Rob's two questions:

Quote:What is it that holds your interest in the upper bands?  Is it the novelty of hearing stations thousands of miles away or is it something I have yet to learn?

Along the way, feel free to discuss your favorite SWL/communications receivers and why you like them; and what SWL/communications receiver(s) you would like to own.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ed, let's start with your post:

Quote:What are you looking for - Digital, analog, 60's, 70's 80's?

Something that will receive both AM and SSB. Something with the cojones to pull in the weak stations (with the help of the longwire of course).

I have a Realistic DX-302, and I would probably be happy with it, but:

1. It has the problem with the broken gear connected to the MHz knob, which apparently is a common issue with these sets; and
2. The audio quality leaves a lot to be desired. Actually, the audio quality sucks, to be honest. Otherwise it seems as if it would be a fine receiver were it not for the broken MHz gear.

Don't ask me why, but for some reason I'm suddenly interested in a Hammarlund. I'm thinking possibly an HQ-145 because I suspect an HQ-180 will probably be out of my budget. Although, I did find an HQ-180 on Rochester, NY craigslist for $250 - WITH the matching speaker. But Rochester is just too far away for me. I've never owned a Hammarlund, so maybe that's it?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

And now Rob:

Quote:Having said all that, I find myself getting bored with the shortwave stuff. Not much of interest to me. So my question to you ham operators and other DX'rs, What is it that holds your interest in the upper bands? Is it the novelty of hearing stations thousands of miles away or is it something I have yet to learn?

I'm not a ham but I'll try to answer from my own perspective. For me, I think nostalgia is the main driving factor. For the short time I had my DX-302 up and running with my new longwire, before the MHz gear broke, I was picking up some SW on the 31M band in the early evening while the sun was still out here. It was neat to hear, after many years of not listening to any SW. Back when I was in my teens, about 300 years ago, I was an avid DXer. This was back when you could literally tune in the world on SW, long before the Internet.

Yes, for me, I do also think it is the novelty of hearing stations thousands of miles away.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh, and Rob:

Quote:By the way, I was at an estate sale where the guy had a basement full of radio stuff, mostly communications receivers - Hammerlund's, Hallicrafter's, Collins. A few AK's and other 20's stuff. Oh, there were 2 Zenith Trans Oceanic's. Not in great shape. I bought nothing as I didn't know what I was looking at. The prices seemed high on the first day. I have pics if it means anything to anyone. The sale is over.

Please feel free to share those photos in this thread if you wish to do so - thanks. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for your answers, Ron.  I hope others chime in as I would like to know what to look for in the short wave bands.  I remember as a kid listening to my dad's Majestic with bands up to 22 mhz and my brothers Philco 14 with 1 short wave band.  I thought it was cool and wanted to get my Ham licence some day.  But as I continued to listen the chatter, i discovered it was just about equipment and signal strength.  I soon got bored and quit listening.

Now you are going to get very disturbed with me!  Here are the pics (over the next 3 posts) of the communications equipment at the estate sale.  Your dream was there for under $300.  Sorry, I just didn't know!

More:

And finally:

Icon_eek Wow

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

A lot of familiar faces in those pics.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Back when I was a teen, almost 300 years ago too, I built a Knight Kit Star Roamer, a five bad radio with a long wave band on it also. I still have that radio but as far as performance goes, meh. I guess you can't expect much from a 4 tuber with selenium rectifier. Today one of my Philcos, a 41-250 is pretty decent. Also I have 2 Zenith Trans Oceanics that I like, one I'm redoing for my brother. I don't have a Hali or Hammerlund to compare to. There's not near  as much on sw like when I was young.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

Hey Ron I built one of those set too. I was awful!! Think that was abt 1969 or so.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, 1969 sounds about right for me too. I dug it out about 2 years ago and had to replace the electrolytic, did an alignment on it too.

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

wow, there's a Hallicrafters SX-24 up on a shelf, which I had back in the '60's; it was pre-sideband, but with the BFO it could tune anything. the large external speaker made it sound wonderful....that thing, with bandspread was very sensitive and solid. It also weighed a ton!
-Simon

Well, I'm happy I stirred some memories!  I wish I had known what I was looking at.  I may have bought something. Especially the 180, or the 170 below it.  Ron may have bought it from me!

Rob

I've done some research on Hammarlund, and the HQ-170 only covers the ham bands. The 180 is the one to have for general coverage SW. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert by any means on Hammarlund) the HQ-180 was their top of the line receiver.

Thank you for sharing the photos. Icon_thumbup

I found a Hammarlund HQ-129X this morning at Radiofest. It's in the back of my truck now. Icon_biggrin I could just leave it back there as a ballast this winter. Wow, is it heavy! The knobs are all replacements/incorrect/newer, but for $75 I could not pass it up. Photos later.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN