Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AM transmitter use

This thread is a little old, but here is a link to a thread where I built one. Still refining things, but it works ok.
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=18028

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

If your radio has a phono or TV input you can get a small, cheap Bluetooth receiver and send your audio that way. It is much higher quality. I have done this to several of mine and it is the easiest option for non-radio people.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Part of the issue with BOTH of these units has to do with grounding, bonding and power source balancing (read AC power source).  I have an SS3000.  Depending on what I have turned on and off in the house, the background hum goes up and down.  It's a power line balance issue.  Second, the grounding for the antenna has a LOT to do with the hum on the signal.  It's same thing we hams fight on AM on the ham bands.  Grounding and bonding issues introduce hum on the modulation signal going to the transmitter.  If your input signal is noisy, the transmitted signal is going to be noisy.  SO, you listen to your own signal on a second receiver.  IF you have GOBS of hum, then you go looking for a grounding/bonding/shielding issue.  You can also have a BALANCE  issue.  Check for AC voltage on the input lines.  IF you have an AC voltage floating on the input lines (you need a scope to find this), you need to isolate the grounds between the feed and the transmitter.  Getting CLEAN signal to an AM transmitter is NOT as easy as it looks.  This can be a project, depending on the building (read house), the age of the AC service, and the other mechanicals (plumbing, HVAC/R, ductwork, etc) present.  LOTS of things can present issues that take some time to troubleshoot and eliminate.  IT CAN BE PHUN!!!

Kim Herron W8ZV
w8zv at goldenradioservice.com
1-616-677-3706

another thread about AM transmitters that might be of interest. https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...light=am03

I had a thread about one I purchased off Ebay, but cant find it now. It used a 6SA7 output/mixer and a 12AU7. It worked very well and didnt pick much hum. It was a simple circuit. I also experimented with a mic oscillator, very little hum, but terrible sound quality. I think it depends on a lot of factors, including power output. My A/C power has been pretty lousy since our power company changed to a smart meter from the old style. Everything effects the signal, from the ground up.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44