Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Q1791WA - first project!

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a Q1791WA (or at least that's what I believe the model number is). 

Aesthetically the piece is in great condition with signs of wear and slight dings from moving around. 

On the audio front, there is a terrible hum when the radio is turned on, and I'm unable to get the turntable or reel to reel players to work. 

I'm finding very limited information about this piece online and wanted to come here for a bit of guidance on how to kick off my first project!

Any help is very much appreciated!

Welcome!

Treat it as any antique piece. Even if it is much younger piece than those from 1930-s, it still has to be recapped when it comes to electrolytics and paper caps. The resistors might fare better.

And then there are mechanicals.....for tape recorder you could possibly get some insights from Tapeheads.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks Morzh! That was my plan! And thank you for the advice on Tapeheads, I'll look there for a bit of help. 

Here are some photos of the piece as well!

Wow. that's a lot of radio!

Nice box..... Now show us them pretty insides.. Icon_biggrin

Steve

And I thought I was ambitious restoring my first radio

I suggest you replace any wiring that looks bad too as long as you’re in there. I’m having to do that because a few wires just crumble when touched

Thanks all.  I removed the back cover and took a few photos of the inside. Seems to be quite a bit of work ahead, but looking forward to it.  

I've still had no luck finding any schematics for the console and components. I'd like to have a solid idea of what I'm dismantling and replacing before moving forward. Are there any alternate sources/suggestions to find this info?

Thank you.

Attached Files Image(s)

I suggest you look here. The service information is not free, but it is not expensive either. I have used it myself: https://www.samswebsite.com/

Hmmmm, . . .  nice VM changer!
They gravitated to BSR later on with a dip in quality.

Agree with Mike the Druid. If you don't find it in Sams Photofacts...you probably aren't going to find it. And I would be frankly surprised if it isn't in a Photofact folder.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I was able to find all the documentation on Sams Photofacts. Thanks all for the suggestion/help.

Hello all,

The quarantine / self isolation has kicked my "restoration" into high gear.

I've restored the VM changer and have it moving and playing tunes.

Now on to fixing the hum emitting from the speaker... After checking all speaker wires and ground I'm pretty sure this is capacitor issue.

Is there a preferred/recommended site that everyone uses for purchasing capacitors?

I'm specifically looking for two Philco 30-2593-14 (4 uF / 25NP).

THANKS!

Would that cap be connected between two of the speakers?? Is the hum present when you select the radio or tape position?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Radioroslyn,

The cap is connected to the 12'' speaker which is connected to the remaining speakers. 

The hum is present when I select radio am/fm, tape, and/or phono.

Thanks!