Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 49-1278 Repair Info and Guidance

Hello everyone,

I am new to the group. I discovered it while trying to find some additional info on a system I will be picking up tomorrow. It is a 1949 Philco 49-1278 in the Mahogancy color scheme. It looks like it has seen better days, however the pictures that were sent to me tell me that it is a restoreable unit. I would love to find out the following info:

1) Is there a service manual that someone has in .pdf form or knwo of one I can download somewhere.
2) If a manual is not available is there a place I can purchase one.
3) What are some of the trials and tribulations typical for repair of a unit such as this.
4) Where can I find external hardware such as knobs or even a front door. I am sure some knobs are missing and not sure as of yet whether the TV door is missing on it as of yet.

Also, here is the inital description of the unit that I got when I found out about the unit:

"We have a combined Philco 49-1278 unit which is a large wooden
cabinet which contains a 12 inch TV, radio, and record player,
plus storage. It is in poor shape - cabinet is chewed and a dog
may have peed on it [Boots was a very sweet dog with some bad
habits]. The TV is almost certainly busted (and would need an
adaptor/cable to provide analog), radio probably works, phonograph
would need total refurbishment, knobs are missing, etc. We did not
try to plug it in as the cord is well-aged. It would need total
restoration by someone who knows what they are doing. It measures
about 37 inches high, 36 inches wide, and 21.5 inches deep and is
heavy as the cabinet appears to be solid wood. Based on the model
number it dates to 1949."

Any and all help on this unit would be greatly appreciated. Photos are enclosed below of the unit. I am picking it up tomorrow and will enclose more photos as soon as I get my hands on it. Ohh a final note, this Philco I am picking up is a freebie which I think is always the best way to get one. 8)

VTY
-Mark

[Image: http://69.117.216.225:81/philco49-1278/IMG_0284.jpg]
[Image: http://69.117.216.225:81/philco49-1278/IMG_0285.jpg]
[Image: http://69.117.216.225:81/philco49-1278/IMG_0286.jpg]

For service manuals, SAMS Technical Publishing should have the Photofact available in pdf form.

These ses used loctal tubes. If any are proven bad after recapping, replacements may be hard to find.
I have found some rubber covered wiring in Philco sets from this era. I just resleeved suspect wiring.
Philco also liked to use those evil micamold caps. Regular mylar caps will work fine. These sets will be loaded with bumblebee caps.
I believe this one may have a B- supply.
Your CRT may act dead on a tester. Let it cook. If you see a brightner, that could spell trouble.
Someone may have a junk cabinet which may have the missing hardware.

Philco sets from the period are good performers when fully recapped.

Visit the world's worst TV restoration website.

http://evilfurnaceman.tripod.com

Thanks Big Dave,

I just picked up the unit today. upon closer inspection I found the following thusfar:
  1. Mouse nest in the TV section, removed that before the TV was moved.
  2. Plenty of droppings in the bottom of the cabinet under the record player. Cleaned them out as well.
  3. Discovered that the previous owner for whatever reason attached light bulbs on wires to the antenna connections in the back of the unti in 2 different areas, why I have no clue...lol
  4. no back plate was on the TV
  5. TV circutry was not locked down in the back of the unit.
  6. The record on the turntable is one of those flimsy paper records you would find in a Mad magazine.....lol
  7. Looks like it was in a small flood, when looking under the unit it seems water made it to just under the speaker in the bottom of the unit and the veneer is seperating from the unit in the lower portion. Wood in general is not horrible but definetly needs to be cleaned up. The upper portion of the unit is in fairly good shape.
  8. No door is attached to the unit by the TV section. Looks like someone filled it in with wood putty where the hinge was at the lower portion of that part of the cabinet.
  9. Plenty of rust is on the TV circutry metal box.
  10. Looks like most of the circutry, including tubes and such is in tact but needs closer inspection.
I will follow up with pictures in the next day or so to show what this restoration will entail. Looks like an interesting challenge to say the least. Any questions or comments are always welcome.

VTY
-Mark
8)