Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My very first FrankenPhilco

Finished it last night. Model 70 cabinet, model 60 knobs with a model 20 chassis and had to modify a model 70 speaker to make it a model 20 speaker. Many many thanks to our man Chuck for the guidance and advice and a big thanks to Dick Oliver who fabricated that model 70 front grill panel to accept the model 20 chassis. Dick, it worked out great. I'll probably pick up some proper model 20 knobs for it but in the mean time, I'm enjoying it as is. Icon_biggrin

http://picasaweb.google.com/danny.gay/FrankenPhilco#

Congratulations, Danny, you now have a Philco 21. Well, sort of. Icon_smile Very nice too; with the usual excellent job on the front panel by Dick Oliver.

Did you know that early production 21 sets used the old 20 chassis?

The 20 chassis was then modified to use 45 output tubes in place of the 71A tubes previously used; and a large, single Mershon electrolytic (12 to 14 uF, depending on the source you choose to believe) was installed in place of the old multi-section condenser can on top of the chassis. A smaller multi-section condenser can was then placed under the chassis. And that's the difference between a 20 and a 21.

So, anyway, your Philco is not quite as "Franken" as you might have believed. Put some rosette knobs on it in place of those hex knobs, and your radio will look identical to a 21.

Hmmm...maybe I should keep that 70 cabinet I was wanting to sell...I have a 20 chassis or two kicking around here... Icon_wink

Questions:

1. How did you get that chassis so clean?

2. Is that the escutcheon that was on the radio when it was a 70? That is a 20/21 escutcheon! Philco factory literature showed the 70 and 90 with a 20/21 escutcheon when they were introduced, but I've never seen an actual 70 or 90 with that escutcheon.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ditto on the chassis cleaning question -- that's amazing! Great job!

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

I worked my bottom off rubbing on that chassis with sandpaper and a wire brush. Removed all surface mounted components then rubbed and rubbed. Once rust cleaned and neutralized I coated it with a gray spray paint I pick up from big box mart. Cleaned and/or painted all surface mounted components, reinstalled same and there it is. Nothing special just allot of rubbing. That escutcheon came from the cabinet as shown in the pictures. Now, do I get the knobs and call it a 21 or what? Icon_lol Icon_lol

Danny

Yes, get the knobs and call it a 21. Icon_smile

Seriously...I have a complete Model 46 chassis and speaker...I think I will keep my 70 cabinet, get another front panel (it needs one anyway), and end up with a "shelf queen" 46 (it was made to operate on 110 volts DC).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

see http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1931a.htm
Sure does look like what I've got here. Go back to my original link
look at two new pictures added. They are the underside of one of the two
that I thought were model 20's. Could this be a 21 that you speak of?
If thats the case, I think I have a model 20 chassis in the model 21 cabinet
and a model 21 chassis in a model 20 cabinet. Icon_eek Who's on First?
What are your thought's. If I remember correctly they both had 71A's.

Danny

Hello Danny ,
Wow that set looks very close to my model 20 deluxe .
I to have to fix my grille work to I did notice the 20 chassis Ron.
Sincerely Rich
P.S. I may spray paint my tube sheild to.

Here is the underside of a genuine Model 21.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/images/21under.jpg]

More info here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/21.htm">http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/21.htm</a><!-- m -->

Your cabinet was originally a Model 70; that is obvious due to the four holes under the dial for four control shafts. I wish I could have seen the 70 chassis that was originally inside it; it would have been neat to have known the serial number of that chassis to add it to the database now being maintained by Chuck.

This is the first time I have ever seen a 70 cabinet with the 20/21 escutcheon. As I mentioned before, early Philco ads and promotional illustrations showed the 70 (and 90) with Model 20/21 escutcheons; yet to my knowledge, none have ever been found before with a 20/21 escutcheon.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron,
Wow To bad about that 70 chassis ,
I to think would been great info.
Sincerely Rich

Didn't the early model 21 sets have flower pot knobs like the Philco 20 and the Philco 96 had?
Speaking of Philco cabinets, wrong forum I know, I have a mid production Philco 90 chassis with a single #47 output tube but no cabinet, no speaker, and no knobs. I've thought about the Dick Oliver repro ones but an empty original would work, even with a broken grille. Also does Mr. Oliver reproduce front panels for floor models?
Best Regards
Arran