Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A little off topic

I p/ud a wooden desk a number of yrs ago. I think it's maple w/a shellac finish. Was working some farm sets maybe a yr ago and one of the D cells leaked on it and left a white crusty mark on it. What would be a good neutralizer for the acid from the battery? The desk is a beater and spent many yrs in the Catholic school. I'm thinking baking soda or vinegay. What say you?

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It depends on the type of battery. If it was a "heavy duty" battery then baking soda would neutralize it, since the electrolyte is an acid. If it was an alkaline battery then vinegar would neiutralize it, since the electrolyte is an alkaline.

and you can mix the baking soda and the vinegar together Terry... Icon_biggrin
just for the fun of it...

....Which will result in you accidentally making Coca-Cola and they will sue you for patent infringement Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

So I checked out the offending cell and it was an alkaline and applied vinegar to it. Pretty stinky stuff! It bubble presumably neutralized the chemicals from the battery's discharge.
Kinda reminded of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYsyM1UFrhQ

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry