Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My 16B

I bought this on eBay a month or so ago (see thread "16B on eBay NICE") so I thought I would start a thread on its restoration.  I'm waiting for parts from my E.H. Scott Philharmonic to be returned form the plating shop and decided to start this project in the interim. The cabinet needs refinishing but is in mostly good condition.  The chassis is quite clean, much better than several I've attempted to restore.  The radio was obviously struck by lightning as evidenced by the blackened area where the antenna wave trap is located.  Also, it must have take out the first antenna coil.  A photo shows the superb job of rewinding the section that was fried.  No doubt it worked ok as it is in the antenna primary, not in a critically tuned area.  I'll try to rewind it closer to original.

For some unknown, stupid reason, I like to strip most chassis down to the bare essentials.  The final photo shows most of the wire removed prior to chassis cleanup.

Now THATS what i call "GUTTED!!"

Thats about what it would look like if Philco sold  it "Heathkit style".

Looks like Klinger got ahold of it.. 

Modified Col. Potter : "Care to explain the explosion from the Philco plant?" Icon_lol

I bet the end result will be STUNNING!!

Steve

Wow - respect for the time and effort you take!

Will be following along for sure.

Lurking

Wow...... Icon_smile

Now let's imagine this was a .... an old car and it needed brake pads changed. And 5 quarts of oil. Icon_lol

No, seriously.....my respect.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Just a little more and...... CHROME THAT SUKKA!!! Icon_biggrin

Steve

First I thought you meant Russian "suka" that means "CENSORED".
Then I realized it is "sucker".

Either one works Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Chrome?  It's not an E. H. Scott!  But hey, it's a challenge to take her down to its beginning and resurrect her.  I think its fun, in my own warped mind.

Some progress:

The hacked up shields:

Shields re-riveted in place, not perfect but ok given the damage:

Filaments rewired:

You can see the discoloration in the antenna coil shield from the fried antenna coil.

You can see the capacitor can in the background in one of the previous post's pics. What was the plating on this and on the tube shields? I'm thinking it was tin and am thinking of playing with tin plating to bring them back to their original glory. Am I wrong? Maybe it was nickel?

I've been looking for info on the antenna coil, part number 32-1182. I suspect that the primary that was fried by lightning was a coil that was inside the form for the rest of the coil. Does anyone have any info on this coil? There is enough of the original wire to measure the diameter to approximate the AWG. Given the known resistance, I can estimate the length. But, I'm not sure how it was wound. Any info would help. From the 1 inch of wire that was left, it appeared to be cloth covered. That would lead me to believe it was a separate coil inside the coil form as I have seen in many Philco coils.

One more question: the wire was definitely cloth covered and measures to be equivalent to about 35 AWG. This give a resistance of about .33 ohms per foot. The schematic from riders says this coil is 43 ohms. That would be about 130 feet of wire. That seems way high to my non EE mind. If it were actually 4.3 ohms (I cannot see a decimal point on the schematic - all other fractional ohm coils have a clear decimal point), that would mean about 13 feet of wire, which seems too little to me. Is 130 feet reasonable for a bobbin wound coil on the inside of the form? I've never unwound one, so I don't know!

Rob

The tube shields were originally plated with tin, yes. Not certain about the capacitor can but it was probably plated with tin as well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. I may look into what it takes to do tin plating. I did some cadmium plating on airplane parts a few years ago using the brush plating technique. It was not difficult.

In the box of "junk" 16 parts I bought, there is an antenna coil - and some better condition shields Let me search it all out. I believe the coil got a little damaged on it's way to me. Parts are yours if you would like them - just let me know. I'll try and post pictures.

Cheers

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Thank you!  PM me when you find the parts.  There are 2 antenna coils in the 16B  I need the BC band and Police band coil  It is #9 on the schematic and is in the shield that is closest to the capacitor can. It has 6 terminals (#8 on the schematic has 7).

Thanks for the details - now I know what to look for. I know I have all the parts, but the windings themselves are damaged, and will need to be rewound. I wish people would learn to pack things with more care... I'll look in the box tonight and will send a PM with full details as requested,

Cheers

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.