Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rogers 10-85

Once again I picked up a Rogers console.
     I only have 17 consoles in my garage, so one more won't make much of a difference.
    I got it for $75.00  on Kijiji. The cabinet will need new veneer on the top and the legs are  a bit wobbly.
  All the knobs and the grill cloth are there,so it should not be too bad to deal with.
I always have liked the wood in the Rogers radios, so I know it will turn out nice.

It is a model 10-85 and another winter project, at lease for the chassis.
 Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

Very nice set! Congratulations. Looks like it'll keep you amused for a while.

The circuit that is used to light the little signal strength bulb is interesting.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Coming along great....Keep us up to date. Icon_thumbup

You did a great job on the cabinet.  I am keeping the photo,for when I get to mine in the spring.
 I have not started on mine, but I wanted to know if the grill cloth is glued on  or can it be taken off and cleaned ?
 Dan in Calgary

I have seldom had success in cleaning any grill cloth. That , that is not so worn as to fall apart often shrinks. You almost have to clean it while it is still stretched on the baffle board. Probably would only want to try if success is not critically important.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Even though I thought this was going to be a winter project, I got started on  it; as far as the chassis is concerned.
  Someone had connected part of the power input  to the volume control [what a mess].
  I put in a new volume control and changed some of the other wires that were in the wrong places.
   I changed most of the caps and now it plays very good ,with no hum, and the 24 volt tuning bulb works good.
  The sound is very clear and clean.
    There are about five caps that would be very hard to change.
 The values are about .1   and they are not bulging or swollen so I decided to leave them in.

What opinions do you guys have about leaving them in,  if the radio is playing good?
 I have usually changed all the caps , but these are in a very bad place. {see photos].
 Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Dan

I would replace them if at all possible.

Someone had partially recapped my Hammarlund HQ-129-X, but they left several original paper caps in circuit without replacing. I replaced all of the caps that had not been replaced already, and redid the multi-section electrolytic to use new Nichicons stuffed into a twist-lock can as per original instead of the crude four individual electrolytics wrapped in masking tape and shoved into the original twist-lock holder. Now, the HQ-129-X has gone from a decent playing radio to a great playing radio. I'm glad I went to the effort to change these. It was well worth it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. I am going to try figure out a way to maybe cut one end of the caps and leave them in , and reroute the new caps.
 I usually think it over for a day or so before doing the actual work.
 Dan in Calgary

I did find a way to replace the five caps without putting them in the same place as the originals.
 The radio plays very good and i feel better about having new caps.
 Thanks  Ron.
 Dan in Calgary