Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Found: Philco 37-690!

Good evening, everyone.  This is my first post, so I want to thank the administrators for admitting me to this wonderful group of Philco enthusiasts!  I just want to say that I am extremely excited because I finally found one of my "bucket list" radios after about 15 years of searching: a Philco 37-690.  from what I can tell it was listed for over a week before I found it because it was listed only as "radio antique", with a single image of the front of the console with the doors open.  That's what caught my attention.  I picked it up on Monday and am quite pleased with its condition.  For being over 80 years old, she is sure holding her own.  Cabinet scratches on the outer surfaces, but the front behind the doors is in very good condition.  All decals and knobs are present, and the electronics are complete, clean, and unmolested.  Great bones to work with. Now for the eye candy, in images to follow:

Attached Files Image(s)

Nubie screw up, I guess. The images I tried to load, obviously did not! Do you have to upload one at a time, or can you select a few and upload them at one time? Still trying to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.

I see the pictures. If you are attaching images, you have to do so one at a time, and you are limited to five images for each post.

And - welcome here Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron,  Here are a couple of more images.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice! I'm still looking for my 38-690! I think it would stand up well next to my EH Scotts. I've heard one and it sounds great (mp3 input). My 37-116 sounds very good without the tweeters and the separate amplifier.

Icon_clap Icon_clap

Very jealous....
Congrats and welcome!

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Wow! What a great find Icon_thumbup

The cabinet looks really good and I don’t see much rust on the chassis based on your pictures. You’ll have to keep us updated as you restore it. Truly a bucket list radio.

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

Great catch!!!  Keep up updated on its progress. Thanks for posting it your a lucky guy.  Icon_thumbup

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Great find!

She's in great shape. No rust, pristine grill cloth. This gives hope the speakers are going in good shape too.

Be careful if extracting the large speaker - there is that baffle cone in front of it, know to damage speàkers.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Very nice find! It should make a great centerpiece.

When removing any of the speakers or resonators be VERY careful. The fiber disk that lies at the front of the speaker around its circumference and helps hold the cone to the basket can stick to the mounting board in front of it, and tear the heck out of the cone behind it. I know the hard way. A thin knife or an artists pallet knife slipped between the ring and board can be used to carefully pry them loose so they don't stick and damage the speaker.

Very nice!! I have one. Great radio, challenging to restore the chassis. If you need any tips or info, PM me. Icon_smile