Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help identifying cartridge/needle

I recently found a Zenith record player with a VM changer, but I think the cart is bad. I have looked up on the VM website, and have the Sams on both the unit and changer (generic) but cannot find a good match. It is a needle/cartridge unit that plugs in. I have some pics. It is NOT a 993-ds13 (95D), tried one which looked the same in the pictures, but wont fit. Hope someone can help (Kirk  Icon_wink ) Model is HFY12R 

It looks like a 940 or 943 is possible, but I cannot really tell from the pictures provided. 

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I believe that's one of those "power point" type cartridges....  Astatic 89 T.  NOT a real good cart for taking care of your records though.

I looked up the 89T, but it is more square, so I dont think this is the correct one either. Thanks for the input tho. I got a 993 off Ebay, looked like it in the picture, but it is just a little different and wont plug in.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Yea, I sorta thought there was something odd about that flipover tab, from the 89T.

The VM I had (that was identical to yours), had a Sonotone 2TA in it, . . . a VERY good mono cartridge, as ceramic cartridges go.
If you can't get your exact replacement,  I would consider a 2TA or it's Astatic replacement 751.
If you would rather consider converting it for stereo, the Sonotone 8TA is also an excellent stereo ceramic cartridge.

Thank you Jake. I may try that in my 557. I got a response from VM and they said it was a 940, so for now, I know which one to try. I am restoring another changer that may use the cart that you mentioned. Got to get the rubber motor mounts ordered. I have about 3 of these I need to get running.

Tim