Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Radio 39-40 toggle switches

I recently acquired a Philco Radio model 39-40. It’s in great shape aside some scrapes on the cabinets. I haven’t plugged it in yet because of a badly frayed power cord. Upon removing the chassis I found 2 toggle switches separate from the chassis. One was above the speaker  under the faceplace in front of cabinet and the other in back of the cabinet screwed to the wood. I figured that this is the AC switch, since I found it on the schematic. The other toggle in front above the speaker is still a mystery. Any thoughts? Thanks

Welcome Jeff.  I know nothing of the switches but don't power it up without changing all of the capacitors (except the mica's)!  You would probably have a LOT of hum and run the risk of burning out the power transformer and some tubes.  There's lot of help available at this phorum.

I suspect the toggles were an attempt to repair the original switches that failed. I doubt in the end of 30-s toggles would be use for power or any other control.

Agree with Rfeenstra about caps. Even with newer cord don't power up until recapped.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Actually, the toggle switch above the speaker, under the faceplate is the factory correct location of the on-off switch for the larger 1939 model Philco consoles.

A switch in the back of the cabinet would have been added on by someone later on. Maybe an added on radio-phono switch? Only by tracing the wiring to it and comparing that to the radio's schematic will you know for certain.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Thanks for all the comments on my 39-40. I always recap radios I restore and replace power cords. As for the switches, both look factory installed, only one shows up on the schematics. Once I get the other toggle figured out I’ll post what I find. Thanks again for your comments