Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello from Tacoma, Wa. 42-1012p

So I was at an electronics recycler Monday looking for a replacement motherboard for my Desktop Pc, when I found this. At the time I didn't know what it was (other than the obvious) and just liked the way it looked.

I went home and did some research before finding this site and figuring out the model. I decided to travel back to the store and buy it. Luckily it fit in the back of my Subaru hatchback.
All things considered, I think the cabinet is in great shape. In the back upper left corner there is some separation due to looseness of the corner brace.
On the front upper right, on a curved piece, there is some separation as well, but not much.

The cabinet wobbles a bit. I thought I saw all four feet but I'll need to double check that.
The radio seems to mostly be intact. I didn't see any spots that would show something missing.
The phonograph is gone though.

I'm not 100% sure what I will do with this yet. I'm not personally interested in getting the radio to work or fiddling with it at all.
I may sit on it and sell it as is, after doing a bit of basic cleaning and wood care.
But, I'd like to really make it shine again.
My mother works on Westclox clocks and is bringing over some stuff to try and clean up and possibly repair the radio faceplate a bit and I've already looked through radiodaze for some replacement knobs.
If I do keep it, then I may do something I'm sure people here would see as sacrilegious. I'll pull out the speaker, radio, tray etc etc and install a new sound system, bluetooth, phone/ipad docker where the photograph used to sit and a new "brain" where the radio used to sit.
All of it completely reversible though. I can keep the old components boxed up and stored.

As I piece of furniture I think it's beautiful, and it kind of goes with other pieces of furniture I have. Heck, it matches my 1927 craftsman house and floors Icon_razz

Either way, for now I plan to just clean it, inspect it, and let it sit in my living room while I research here some more.

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Philco Phorum.   Icon_biggrin
Take one more pic of the back to show how much of the chassis is still intact. Thanks.

Good idea. I have wondered if the back looks like it should. I haven't found a reference for that yet.

Attached Files Image(s)