Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-116: Pick Up or Ship?

Hello,

So I just bid on and got this 37-116. Couldn't help myself, a cabinet that doesn't need work...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philco-37-116-C...7675.l2557

The question is; do I drive ~7+ hr round trip to get it or do I have it shipped? I'm certain it will fit as I have managed to tote a 37-690 in my VW Golf (hatchback). I would remove the chassis, but leave the speaker in place with the radio loaded on its back. But I also understand he packs well for shipping and the nearest Greyhound terminal is about 10 miles away, a shorter drive. Opinions?

Is the Radiodaze grill cloth below a match for this radio? It sure looks like it is.
http://www.radiodaze.com/grille-cloth-03...c03-18x25/

Can't think of anything witty.
Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

I drove for it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Great radio! I guess it depends on a few things. Are you up to the round trip drive? Do you have some help to unload the case when you get home? Do you REALLY trust that the unit will be packed well and arrive as safe as it would if you transported it? Is the cost of shipping it justified? All that considered, if you go pick it up, be sure to bring some thick blankets to wrap it in before you put it in your car to prevent marring the cabinet. I look forward to hearing about your adventures restoring the electronics.

If it were me, I'd drive. I've done it for less. Great looking radio. I have one in similar condition that works VERY well. Now I have a second that needs a lot of work. Congrats!! Fun project. I have a thread here on my restoration.

The price is surprisingly low for one of Willie's radios. Considering those usually have great cabinets, I expected a bit more.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

In ANY case, and I am sure that you already know. BUT the chassis is poorly secured at best. Unless the radio receives very careful handling, it should be removed for shipping.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I would definitely drive. Not sure where you came up with the 7+ hours, but if the radio is in Belsano PA, and you are in the Whitehall PA area, it should only be about an hour and 40 minutes each way.

A friend of mine purchased a 38-690 from willie a year or so ago and he packed it EXTREMELY well and shipped the main chassis and power chassis in separate boxes, so 3 total... it arrived in perfect condition with not even a mark on any of the boxes... and that was from PA to South Dakota... I highly recommend the shipping...

Quote "I would definitely drive. Not sure where you came up with the 7+ hours, but if the radio is in Belsano PA, and you are in the Whitehall PA area, it should only be about an hour and 40 minutes each way."

True if you're talking about the little village called Whitehall in Big Valley.  Not true if it's the Whitehall, PA near Allentown (which per Mapquest would be a 7+ hour round trip).  

My mistake. I guess there is more than one. There is a town named Whitehall close to where I live in Pittsburgh.

OK pick up fans I whimped out. I'm having it shipped.

I was leaning toward shipping initially but $110 + 30 minutes to the Greyhound station beats a 7+ hour trip + gas + turnpike tolls. Also, my wife and I just drove out that way two weeks ago to visit family in Pittsburgh. Belsano is about 3/4 that distance. I wasn't up to making that drive again so soon.

As he has a reputation for packing well, I think the only real concern I have is the chassis packing. Outside of the cabinet, the large, fragile, plastic dial is exposed and needs protection. That scares me a bit. I mentioned that in my request for shipping.

Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

When my friend got his the main chassis was in a wooden crate inside the cardboard box to protect it...

Willie is the best...Icon_thumbup He earned his reputation for good packing and shipping.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

So, how did the shipping go?

I'll let you know when it arrives.

I think it was shipped around the 7th. That's when the seller asked for my phone number for the shipping. He did say it could take a several weeks. It's been about 2 weeks.

I need to order parts and such. I'm a little low.

Greg O.
Whitehall, PA