Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first restoration 37-610J

I have never restored an antique radio, but I am excited about my project. I found a 37-610J cabinet at a swap meet with a terrible finish on it. I have sanded the old finish off and I can tell it's been restored before.
I bought a 37-620 tombstone radio (non working). The radio is still in transit so I have not received it yet. From the research I have done so far, I have found that both use a 121 or 125 chassis.
I am not looking for perfection, I would just love to have it looking nice and working. Hoping I can find someone near me, who can work on the radio.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Dennis

The 121 or 125 are the codes, not the actual chassis numbers. The chassis is 37-610 or 37-620 (code 121 or 125 or....)

I am not sure the 620 chassis will readily install in the 610, I will let others who know it tell you this.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

The model 37-610 chassis is different from a 37-620 (see schematics at Nostalgiaair.com) The 121 and 125 designations are code numbers, essentially version numbers for a given model year. (see Identification Guide in our library)

Hi,

You're in luck as there is a good club in your state:

https://www.alabamahistoricalradiosociety.org/

If you don't feel comfortable working on your own 37-610/620, then contact the club by all means. They should be able to direct you to someone who can do the work.

Being as how a 37-610J is a console, you will have no issues fitting the 37-620 chassis into the 37-610J cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

1st thing.. No sanding off the finish.
Use lacquer thinner and #0000 steel wool and the finish will melt off.

Welcome...

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks for admitting me to the boards and for all the info. I'm a newbie and have a lot to learn. As soon as I figure out how to attach a picture, I will post some.
Thanks again!
Dennis

Glad to have you aboard, Dennis.

Adding photos is easy. Two ways to do it, both discussed in the Phorum's How to Do Things in the Phorum section:

Method 1 - using photos hosted at a third party source - https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=29

Method 2 - attaching images directly to your posts - https://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showt...p?tid=4407

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here are three pics. The way I bought it for $5.00. I sanded and found several spots that a prior restoration had sanded through the veneer. I really don't mind. Not looking for a perfect restoration. I like it with all it's scars. I finished getting the old finish off and then the latest pic with one coat of amber shellac.     [attachment=20271][attachment=20272]

Thanks Ron. You are a huge help. Now, how do I add a profile picture?
I really appreciate your time!
Dennis

Again, go to the How to Do Things in the Phorum (near the bottom of the Phorum home page, within the Rules, How-To, Donations section).

Click How to Do Things in the Phorum.

Look for the subject Phorum How-To #6: How Can I Add or Change an Avatar?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I accidentally removed two photos...        

Very nice job! The cabinet is beautiful.

Looking good!

A 640 was my first radio ever... Still have it.

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks. I hope I can find someone to help me fix the radio I bought for it. Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin

You have come to the right place for that. There are a lot of folks here who have experience with various models of Philco radios. I'm sure they will be glad to help you get it up and running. Welcome to the Phorum.