Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-295

Thanks! And thank you again for your original photos. It gave me an idea of what to shoot for, though other issues dictated slight deviations.

Nortonz, how did you redo the dial escutcheon? Particularly, the gold inlay? Mine was in poor shape so I stripped it and have the whole thing painted brown. Now I need to get the gold inlay and the faux wood grain. For the wood grain, I'm going to experiment with inkjet printed water transfer paper. Any suggestions from anyone who has done this would be helpful.

Mine was a brass face plate, I used some brasso to clean it up, as for the gold, I had a gold paint pin, just trace it out very carefully. Turned out pretty good. The dial was the worst. The glass was missing, so I ordered it from a place I found here on the forum Radiodaze. The pointer was also missing, but I found a second hand from a clock that worked great. The flocking was all torn up, I bought some flocking on eBay, but didn’t use it, I also found some felt shelf paper that was perfect. Use it, the graphics I bought the water slide from radio daze, it took almost a month to get the glass, but it was perfect. So it was well worth the wait.
I bought some medium brown walnut toner from Mohawk to redo the white wood on my 41-295. I really liked the look on yours.

Philco 41-295X 4 band radio.
I'm 67 years old, in north Idaho.

Thanks! Note that the Medium Brown is quite red. I also used VanDyke Brown to keep it from getting too red.

I ordered a couple different shades of walnut tint, so I’ll see when it gets here.

I tried to get the faux wood grain on the dial escutcheon with inkjet printable water transfer paper. Didn't work. You have to coat the printing with a couple of coats of clear acrylic so that the ink won't run in the water. That makes the transfer too stiff to conform to the curves. So for now, I'm giving up on the idea of the wood grain. Instead, I polished the brass, masked the gold areas, and sprayed it with toner. The toner allows light to reflect off the brass giving a very "dynamic" finish that changes with the angle of viewing. The gold areas are polished brass with one coat of medium brown walnut toner that gives it kind of an antique look. I like it. Not original, certainly, but nice. Pics later.

Here's how the dial turned out.  Not original but I don't know how to get a good faux wood grain over paint.  Inkjet printable water transfer paper didn't work so I opted for this.  I like how the light angle changes the appearance.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm....nice!

I did a re-tint on my 41-295, never really like the white wood look, so I use a medium walnut tint, I think it look better now. I still have some touch-ups here and there, but it turned out great. I can’t be leave I have 4 cabinets now

That looks better!!

I don't know whp's gonna notice what, but to me it looks simply great.

Best is, after all, the enemy of good'nuff.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I know it’s not original, but seeing as I don’t plan on selling it, I’m happy with the way it turned out. The chassis has been recapped, and just waiting for some new tubes, it will be done.